Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Ok after running 3rd time on new bike I fouled the plug.
No biggie I just broke it in.
Anyways the Factory plug that came out was an NGK R6918B-9 then on insulator it says NGK R 9
So, I went to the dealer and he said here is the replacement plug. He gave me an BR9EIX and its an Iridium.
According to the NGK site it is the replacememnt for the 2003 model year but not for 2004.
Just curious what plugs others might be running in their 2004 KX125's
Thanks

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
They gave you the wrong plug, went threw this back in october I run the stock R-6918B-9 and nothing else. the change to this plug is cause last year the BR9EIX's the electrode could break off! Plus add in the fact that the '04 makes more power and has more compression you decide which is better. Ngk.com has them for much less than a dealer may charge especially if your dealer is greedy!
Btw change your jetting to #35 pilot #2 on the clip position and drop the main to a #400 it will run alot cleaner I run the air screw at 1.5 turns out.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Holy crapola

You gotta be kiddingme I checked that site and punched in R6918B-9 and it said $22.34
Wow the BR9EIX was only $6.40 at the dealer.
Where else can I get the factory plug?????

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Hmmmm according to actual Kawasaki site and Denso

Says that I can use either and it lists the BR9EIX as for 2004
Here is the link
http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default....VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

Also Denso sites cross reference either number to the same Denso plug which is IW01-27

I think maybe someone fed you the wrong info maybe?
Surely the makers know what is what in their line.
Who or where did you hear about tips breaking off on the BR9EIX's???????
Thanks

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Mike R. said:
Who or where did you hear about tips breaking off on the BR9EIX's???????
Thanks

Do a little search around this forum and you'll come up with several threads on this plug as well as the same expensive plugs for the RM125's. Bottom line was that the 03 was spec'd with the BR9EIX's and after several people fragged the top end due to the electrode snapping off Kawi changed the stock plug for 04. RM's have spec'd the expensive plug for several seasons, it has something to do with engine vibration. Once you jet your bike properly there should be no reason to foul a plug and a $22 plug is cheap insurance versus taking the risk of fraggin the top end/cylinder IMO.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Ok,

So after speaking with a Technical Rep at NGK USA he assured me that yes they are away of the Premature Electrode failure on the BR9EIX but, there is more.
Seems the failure is due to harmonics and pre-ignition and is only associated with bikes that are pushed to their exstreme rpm range.
I was assured by John at NGK that being an the avergae rider I will be fine using the BR9EIX.
It seems the failures they have seen are due to bikes being pushed to the highest rpm ranges and sustained high rpm for long periods. Where as pre-ignition would also come into play.
I might add after consulting 3 dealers who all have long standing good reputations in the area none where away of this failure problem and non had any technical data sheets pertaining to this. They all recommended the BR9EIX also.
Most have guys that race for them also.
Not to mention John at NGK USA who supplies the plugs to Team Green went through his request sheets for the team and they are using the BR9EIX's and noted that only on the big supercross tracks have they opted to run the new plug.
So, my consensus is yes it can happen. Is it likely no unless your a pro that runs super hard and or pushes the bike to its exstreme.
John actually recommended I use the BR9EIX and said it will be just fine.
Thought I would share my findings on this matter for those that dont want to spend $23+ dollars when its not really needed.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
In the UK plenty of non expert riders have experienced the failures, as long as it doesnt fail on the face of a jump or on a fast sweeper i guess its safe?????????

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'll still run what the manual suggests and go by what kawasaki says not some rep at NGK plus I'll throw in the fact that i'm still running the orginal plug in my bike from day one proper jetting is more important. I have like at least 21 hrs on the stock plug! with a spare I have yet to use. Go ahead an run the EIX but I think kawasaki's R&D is more extensive than someone who doesn't own the actual bike sez. Don't say we didnt say so when it toasts your top end someday I hope ya like changing plugs often I wouldn't run those eix's for more then 10 hrs before I swapped them period.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
MXP1MP said:
I hope ya like changing plugs often I wouldn't run those eix's for more then 10 hrs before I swapped them period.

Care to share your reasoning behind this statement?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Care to share your reasoning behind this statement?

any amount of detonation on a regular plug in a kx or rm 125 and i would be ready to chuck them.

for the record, i race vet beginner, and ive had one go in my RM125, marcus had the same thing- you can get away with a regular plug, but any sign of detonation and its just a matter of time..........

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
MXP1MP said:
I'll still run what the manual suggests and go by what kawasaki says not some rep at NGK plus I'll use. Go ahead an run the EIX but I think kawasaki's R&D is more extensive than someone who doesn't own the actual bike sez. Don't say we didnt say so when it toasts your top end someday I hope ya like changing plugs often I wouldn't run those eix's for more then 10 hrs before I swapped them period.

Wowdont get all defensive hmmmm
Maybe you didnt read the whole thing. I said I also talked to 3 Kawi dealers that race and they use them.
Also I stated Team Green uses them as I noted.
Not that it matters one way or another I was posting my findings on this matter.
And as far as reference thats all I hear on here is "Marcus" had the problem who else has had it??
Maybe Marcus had some detonation occuring prior to failure???
Also this is NOT just a Kawi problem its any bikes the have detonation.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
maybe we should buy thumpers matey- i am sure we could live with the sound of rattling valves over detonation any day, LOL :p

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
I run a br8es on my 01rm125 and 04rm250, never really had a problem - other then the opposite end of the plug unscrews on my 250 (probably from vibes), the plug that came with the bike and that they suggest has a solid tip rather then a screw on one

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
At this point its best to ask yourself another question-what is to be gained by using a plug Kawasaki think is un-suitable for the 04 when speccing it as OEM.When ever you talk to reps etc remember they are selling the stuff-kwak reps dont liek to admit alot of KXs blew up last year. Ask the people selling the EIX if they will warranty your pride and joy if it breaks?

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
I agree with what everyone has said

My point I reckon is its a shame Kawi wont mass produse the OEM plug esp knowing there are a ton of 03 and alot of 04's being purchased now.
They say these oem plugs are handmade in japan versus being mass produced like the EIX plugs and that is what accounts for the higher price.
Now being Suzuki has been using the same plug longer but an 8 instead of a 9 maybe these will be mass produced one day.
As far as the price I checked with my dealer and I can get the OEM for like $24 so I reckon its not al that bad.
What the hell its only $13 bucks more I guess.
I think though I still will keep a few EIXs around as backups.
What is weird though at looking at both plugs they both have the straps welded to the top the only difference is the L shaped versus the more straightness of the oem plug. Hard to believe that lil bend in the strap is so critical.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Yea that

Makes it worse knowing its a bend that is 1/32 in length that is costing us about 4x the price.
Come Kawi needs to do better then that, send SomeYoung Guy down to the assembly line and have um stop bending them and wallllllllllllla we have are OEM plug in Iridium form :laugh:

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Marcus,
I've been running BR9EIX on my kx (2004) what plug should i get here in the UK.
When i went to my dealer (cradley Kawasaki) and said i wanted a new plug and quoted the one reccomended in the manual (NGK R6918B-9) he just looked at me blankly and gave me the EIX.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Well i would get the R6918B if it was me-ive ran the ND denso plugs on my 03 without problems-they arnt iridium but they worked ok and never failed.look up on the denso website for a equivalent to the BR9EIX.

Top Bottom