merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
Hi there,

I have an 03 yz 250 and was flicking through the manual the other day and noticed that the linkage bearings contain Poly Lube. Poly lube bearings apparently do not require lubrication, just the bushes and seal lips. When I got the bike I just slid back the bushings and pushed some grease in there, although I'm sure this would have no detrimental affect I would like to know your thoughts on this matter. Is poly lube a better alternative than grease or is it just another gimmick??

mustang

Dec 5, 2002
Merlin,
On the KTM there iare bearing surfaces in the shock that specifically forbid lubrication. I'm not sure what they are, I believe, teflon. Anyway, that's what the manual says, NO LUBE.
Cheers, Pete

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Could it have been "moly" grease instead of "poly"?

I would service my linkage bearings with a good NLGI #2 waterproof grease.
Although it won't harm your bearings by using any old grease, some greases when mixed with incompatible base grease will cause each grease to soften somewhat. It's best to clean old grease out the best you can and replace with new. Be sure not to loose needle bearings when you service them.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I would take the advice of no lube, other than maybe an extremely light coat on the seal lip.  We have equipment at work the operates on the same theory, and if we grease it it just gums up and doesn't slide well.  The same probably is true with the throttle tube on the handlebar?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom