pimprn

Sep 7, 2006
hey guys i have a 2000 kx 125 and im bored of it ive been riding since i was 6 and im 18 now i jsut got this biek this year and im already bored! i thought it was so fun at first and the powerband was insane now i dunno what the heck i have the exhaust done, new top end when i bought it i barely road it this ummer and it starts first kick! I was thinking would porting and polishing the heads make a difference? and what difference would it make? is it safe for the bike? and any other usggestions or advice? i dunno what it is i think its making the exhaust valve bigger or somethign not sure any help greatly appreciated thanks !!!!!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Didn't you post a similar thread a couple weeks ago?

Are you fast enough to win the A class at your local track? If not, you're not riding the bike to its full potential.

The only thing that is going to give you a serious increase in HP is an overbore kit. Porting will help some, but it essentially moves the power around to make it more usable.

The 144cc overbore kit costs about $500 and includes porting, head work, new bigger piston and ring, etc. . .

It will increase the power of your bike by 15-20% all through the power spread.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Do you have aftermarket reed valves? I heard they made a huge difference. I'll probably get some V-Force on my 00 kx 125, if I don't sell it. My bike has been ported and I don't see a huge difference with a stock one (there is more top end though).

Hooner33

Jul 17, 2006
I have never had port and polish done to my bike but I had it done to an old Camaro I had. If its the same then all you would see is your top end power go up a little. But if your riding your 2 smoker then there is really no reason to get it done. You probably slam through the gear box is fast as you can already so, you are not really seeing a whole lot of improvement. Dont waste your money, thats my opinion. If you want more, sell the 125 and get the 250. :laugh:

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Hooner33 said:
I have never had port and polish done to my bike but I had it done to an old Camaro I had. If its the same then all you would see is your top end power go up a little. But if your riding your 2 smoker then there is really no reason to get it done. You probably slam through the gear box is fast as you can already so, you are not really seeing a whole lot of improvement. Dont waste your money, thats my opinion. If you want more, sell the 125 and get the 250. :laugh:

They're nothing close to the same. Do a search. There is plenty of good information on engine mods for a 2T's. If you plan on keeping your bike, top end mods will give you the most bang for your buck.

If you're thinking of stepping up, there are plenty of cheap 2T 250's out there too.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Having owned a bike that was professionally P&P'd, I will attest that the power is improved. How in is improved depends on what you ask for. Will it make a 125 pull or hit as hard as a 250, no. Will it make the 125 better on the bottom, the mid, or the top? Obviously, it will depending on the improvement you tell the builder/tuner what you are looking for. The P&P will make improvements but you won't likely see the same results as adding nitros to your car or truck and it will determine how sensitive your SOTP dyno (butt crack dyno)is.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
The first question you need to ask yourself is, " Do I want to keep the bike?". If you answered yes, think about porting or a big bore kit from Eric.

http://www.eric-gorr.com/services/porting.html

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showpost.php?p=214429&postcount=1

I have a 2003 RM250; Boysen RAD valve, FMF Fatty pipe and Eric's Mo-better porting. It is the best mod you can do to a bike after the suspension. All my future bikes will be ported by Eric.

I found these while doing a quick search:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/search.php?searchid=565456

Good luck, Steve.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/search.php?searchid=565459

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/search.php?searchid=565461

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Good info Steve. My 03 CR250 got the overbore and the mo-betta port job. It runs so strong, I was able to go back to the stock gearing. The bike rips. It's keeping me away from the dark-side for at least another season...lol.

Tony

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Eric Gorr said:
It really depends on the make and model bike. Porting is a process of robbing Peter to pay Paul but in some cases if the manufacturer made such a design boggle that they leave the door open for massive improvement you can get more power across the board. Some bikes are so good stock that they can't be improved.

If your bike's port design sucks stock, then you may gain some power. However, according to the quote above, you're not really gaining much power in most cases - just moving it around.

As I understand it, head work is another matter.

Again, if you're totally bored, the 144cc kit or a 250 is the way to go.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Polishing? :yell:

Come on folks, this b.s. horse has been beaten into oblivion here.

Have you seen a $7000 pair of CNC'd AFR BBC heads lately?

Search. Read. There are serious discussions in the archive about laminar flow, turbulence and porting technique. There's a reason why NOBODY worth their wood, polish anything besides tables, brass or the german helmet. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
nephron said:
or the german helmet. ;)

Doc - Does that take a 3 or 5 axis CNC machine to accomplish that? :whoa:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
From the looks of her, she had just one 'axis'. :whoa:

pimprn

Sep 7, 2006
Hey guys i just want power and im for sure keeping the bike i love it ! but im just bored of it. I cant get that eric gor porting on here cause i live in niagara falls canada......but is the big bore kit worth it, and will my engine blow or anything? im not racing but i do go on tracks and race around you know? anyhow i was thinking in getting boyesen reeds (pro series) and the rad valve.I wanted vforce reeds though but i cant find anyone that sells them :s for my 00 kx 125 ? someone help me there please? . But i dunno what its called for p& p i want lots of low and mid range power so i can come out of corners fast and jsut pull away you know? I havent got my suspension done yet is that really good and what affects does it have on the bike?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Thanks Tony. Budds next weekend, you gonna make it?

Sure you can, put your head in a box and mail it. Or order the 144 kit and have no down time.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Hopefully! I'll be in town Saturday for a family function. I'm gonna stop by LPC Saturday morning just to say hello. I won't have my bike. :yell:

pimprn

Sep 7, 2006
Yeah man but i dunno what the heck a head is? is it the piston head or ????? ill try and look for some pictures on google lol thanks man :D

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
You need to buy THIS book. It's a great resource and when you're done reading it...I guarantee you will know where the head is!

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
pimprn said:
someone help me there please? . But i dunno what its called for p& p i want lots of low and mid range power so i can come out of corners fast and jsut pull away you know? I havent got my suspension done yet is that really good and what affects does it have on the bike?

pimprn, are you the same guy who posted last week pleading for more help out of your 125? The moderator closed the thread, the responses seemed to have trouble getting through to you.
You keep asking for someone to "please, please help". If you have a KX125 and you are bored with it, why do you want to keep it? It appears you you don't know what you want, however you know what you don't want. In my experience porting the heads (you don't port heads on a 2 stroke, you perform port mods on the cylinder), changing the gearing and expensive suspension mods won't make the bike into a 250. If you are bored you need to upgrage. Many times people have tried to turn their bike into something it will never be. After you spend a ton of money in mods, you won't get it back when you finally decide to upgrade to a 250, and sell it.

You mentioned that you modified the gearing andhave an aftermarket pipe and silencer. If you still want more power then there's no replacement for displacement.

Is there a reason you plan to keep the 125? If you don't know what a head is, it's fine to come hear and ask questions. Just understand that based on your comments it's pretty clear what you need to do to deal with your boredom problem... Upgrade.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
If you don't know what a head is

He may not know what head is, or polishing the helmet for that matter, but it's clear his piston is too small, and his stroke could use some work.

Either way pimp, you may need a bigger one. At least that's what I've heard.

If you want to stay with the 125, do a search and read about possibly upgrading to a 144. You can either save quite a bit of money, sending your jug and head into Gorr for a 144 with porting, or you can simply bump up to the next set of cubes.

If you're not a racer, and you really like power, and just want to play, a 500 can't be beat for power, reliability (especially reliability) and fun.

If you're going to race, and want to do the schoolboy class or some such, punch the 125 out. I believe the KX125 that year was soft from the start, so even a well-tuned one is going to be 'boring', so to speak. A well-built 144 will be all you can handle on the track, if you're a novice racer.

I think if I were you, I'd save your $$ and go the Gorr/144 way to start with. You'll be happy with the power, and learn something about motors to boot. Good luck.

pimprn

Sep 7, 2006
yeah man for sure! i am probably going to get the 144 bore but! do i have to get it done by eirc gorr or can i send it in tot a motorcycle mechanic near by ???? i think im gunna get the 144 bore and get some aftermarket reeds....i dont want a 250 because i liek how light the 125 is and stuff u know? im a pretty good rider and 2 strokes are new to me but i know fairly enought baout the engine but ya....

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Spend a few bucks on shipping and have Eric Gorr do the work. You won't be disappointed.

pimprn

Sep 7, 2006
alright dude ill see what my dad says :D
he will probably let me
ummm can i speak to eric gorr on the phone before i ship it or anything?

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
pimp man,

If you've been riding for a dozen years and are instantly bored with the power of a 125, then you'll be quickly bored with a modified 125 or 144, IMHO. Move up to a 250 and scare yourself again. It pains me to say it, but there're probably real cheap.

Good luck

pimprn

Sep 7, 2006
i liek the light weight of the 125 though a 250 would be harder for me to moanoover around corners and stuff im only 5'7 135 lbs lol but i can go like stink :D but shouldnt a give me som balls to work with again ?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
im only 5'7 135 lbs

...so's Ricky. So's Bubba. Ever seen either of these characters in real life? Doesn't take size, man. I think both are even shorter than 5'7". Ricky might even be 5'4" or 5'6".

When I was in 7th grade, I had a smaller, skinnier friend that could ride the snot out of an RM370. So I got one the next year. IMO, the smaller 2 strokes are harder to ride than the big ones.

Top Bottom