jeepjunk94

Jan 26, 2008
Hello all, I have done a little searching on the forum and the net for info about head porting. I have my old 78' TT500 down for fresh rings ect.. and thinking about trying my hand at porting. Got my dremel tool and plenty of bits, sand paper and aluminum polish ready. Question is will it make a noticeable difference on a stock bike? A bigger question is can I mess it up and loose power or worse? I might should ask this in the carb/intake section but want to try here first. Any help full info from some of you who I know have done it would be greatly appreciated.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Leave the "PORTING" to the pro's. Nothing wrong with polishing up your Cylinder or doing a little Honing, but if you Port your Cylinder incorrectly you will destroy the stock powerband of the bike and may cause engine failure.

I mean how would you even know what Ports to Widen or Make Taller? And how that will effect the power range of the bike?

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I've made a living porting heads and the Japanese stuff is usually pretty good to start with.If you're not going the cam and compression road it's wasting time and a hard to replace head.Porting is not an end in itself.It's best used as a part of an overall approach with a specific goal in mind.Do it if you must but be prepared for disappointment.

Top Bottom