Porting...jetting...spark plugs? YARGH!

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
okey well try to bare with me on this one. I got my bike back together finally and am now able to ride it (broken wrist), any ways. I had it ported/milled by mr.gorr and am having a few problems. This happened before i got my head back and still occours, oil leakes out from where the spark plug goes into the head...outta the threads,is this normal? And my jetting is way outta whack but thats another story :D. And in my manual it says to use a NGK R6918b-8 (<--- Say what?)...well i just use a B9ES...are these two the same thing? Thxs to those who help! :thumb:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
There should be no leak from the sparkplug. A new plug should have a decent gasket that will crush to seal it. Perhaps the threads are almost stripped & needs a helicoil or the surface the gasket seals on is damaged & needs to be draw filed smooth & flat or on the off chance the plug hole had been drilled on a slant & the plug meets it on an angle.

Some bikes like RMs specify plugs that are less prone to vibration damage. The tip is likely to fall off & damage the engine in this model from time to time. Cough up the bigger dollars for the right plug is my advice.

Do a search in the RM forum & you might get some starting pointers for jetting but really you should do some reading on the subject & experiment on the safe side.

Tip of the day -Ignore revs. The different jets are matched to throttle position. Once you make this mental adjustment jetting is not so hard.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Your washer may be beat on the plug,put a new plug in after it is snug,turn the plug with a plug wrench no more than a 1/4 turn.This is all you need,do not tighten until you can't turn anymore, this will kill the washer .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…