GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I did all the mods on the KDX xcept a port job and carb mod. I am very sceptical to do a port job because its non reversable. The bikes I rode that had a port job done did'nt impress me at all. Loads of top end power but the bottom end is worse than my bike. And bottom power is what i am after.

I know a KDX can be ported for top or bottom end. My question is can a KDX be ported for all over gain. I want more bottom end power but does'nt wanna loose any top end.
The one local dealer say yea and the other say nay.

Please share me some of your personal xperience.

Fanx

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
GP... I for one will not port my bike for the very reason you stated. It is not reversible. Based off of opinions is not good enough for me either. I like the way my bike runs and will not do anything to it that is not reversible. Be careful... be very very careful!
Next for me is the RB carb mod... you may want to look into this, but then again... I bought a spare carb to have this done too so I can go back if I don't like it.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've had porting done to my bike. The bike now makes additional power everywhere, but most importantly, in the mid-range. This is what I asked my mechanic to do for me. He also modified my cylinder head.

The porting on the bike was mild (to retain the use of pump gas) but the result was wild! The engine has a lot of snap and revout, yet it still likes to crawl around on slow rocky trails. When I need to loft the front wheel to clear an obstacle the power is readily available.

Find a good mechanic with an verifiable reputation and have a talk with him; let him know exactly what you want.

Last edited:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
RV6Junkie

What did the mechanic do to your bike?
The local mechanic adds extra base gaskets to lift the exhaust port, and polish the ports. On the intake side there are 2 vertical bars that he sharpens for better flow etc. He doesnt machine the ports (bigger, lifting,dropping etc.) at all.
My understanding is when adding extra base gaskets you loose compression and thus loose bottom end.

Is there anybody out there with some knowledge? Pleaaaase....Help me man.....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Call up Eric Gorr. He will straighten you out and tell you what can and should not be done with a port job on your bike.

http://www.ericgorr.com

There is a TON of info listed on his website, so read through it first.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'd be skeptical myself of any mechanic that thought a port job that included raising the exhaust port was accomplished by adding base gaskets. And what does that have to do with increasing bottom end, anyway?

Agreed, port work is only as good as the person doing it, and a lot of persons think they know a lot about it. ...and they don't.

I had an RD ported by someone that supposedly knew what they were doing. I expressed my intentions for the job to be a port 'tune up', NOT something that would negatively effect the bottom end response.

I ended up with a bike that wouldn't run under 5+krpm, couldn't pull a 6% grade in 5th gear.

What you're not likely to get is a response from a rider that has had his bike ported that will tell you much of anything. 'Moh better' is a cute descriptive term, but doesn't begin to tell the story of the angles changed, the metal removed and the port reshaping that took place. What's important is that the guy that promises 'moh better' delivers on his promise.

That's where reputation of the person doing the work is crucial.

Which is to say....follow the above advice.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom