Rockymountainatvmc.com - Dirt bike & ATV parts

RECENT POSTS

Possible explanation/fix for the some of YZ426 clutch problems.

Mx Tuner

I know too many people locally who have the problem to say it is a minor isolated incident. There have even been people on the net with this problem. In fact one of them posted that he was going to have you look at it personally that was CHIP I believe.

You stated "but you seem to think this is something that affects all the 426s. "  Please do not put words in my mouth as you have done in the past. Reread every post nowhere did I say every YZ had the problem. In fact I stated "I did talk to a guy at the track today that did not have the problem "  So how you come up with the idea that I think everyone has the problem is beyond me. As I said at the beginning of the post, this is my experience. Look and see above how many people do have the problem. Just because I don't have the pin linkage transmission problem does not mean that there are bikes out there out of tolerance for that problem.

You do not understand my frustration or the others on this site that are experiencing it because you never have. Did you look at Chips bike and feel it? A class action law suit is not for those like you that do not have the problem but for us who do and run out of warranty or have to replace a brand new part under warranty because the manufacture won't admit to it. I have no plans of doing it but if some one with some balls gets a lawyer involved I will gladly add my name to the list.

Byron Wo** MX track owner had the problem and blew the basket.
Tim Ph**** MX track owner also had the problem.
David Cla***** President MX organization has the problem.
Myself.
Another friend was recommended by a dealer to change out the clutch basket after he broke it in, he is a police officer. (He did not want to take the chance)
I did not include their names because I don't want to make them public but I will email you their email addresses personally if you do not believe me.

How about on line:
Chip
Thumper 448
JB 426
Todd 737
Tony Williams

You try to put words in my mouth. You then play down the possibility that this may be a wide spread problem by sayin "all" the 426s youve ridden have never had the problem and dismiss that Yamaha may have a responsibility to fix this problem.......whatever.

CHIP

Lifetime Sponsor
RichardM,
  Tuner and I were never able to connect up. We may still in the future but I have not arranged anything. I will say, if anyone doesn't believe there is a problem then they should ride my bike. It is driving me crazy. i just got my dealer to locate a number for me to call. This dealer here is sort of a pain to deal with. The salesman that I have been talking to have become friends he has been a major help. He cares a lot more than the owners do. I pulled the cover(as you can tell, my post was a little premature about the Mobil one, the problem is still there when the bike is cool) after pulling the cover I noticed that the basket looks as if it passed QC without being deburred. It looks as if the plates are catching on the splines where the burrs are. This may have caused uneven wear, I dunno just a guess. Nonetheless, there is a definite prob with the clutches. I will be following up with many many phonecalls to Yamaha. I am a very easy rider. I have only been on the bike about 9 or 10 rides. I find all of this to be ridiculous. There is no reason for them not to have a recall on the clutches.

------------------
Chip
__________________________________________________                                              
If It's Too Loud, You're Too Old!!!

I have also had the grabby clutch problem, so I tore down the clutch on my 426 Monday and found the fiber plates pretty dry but the basket was ok except for the sharp edges on the fingers (sharp edges = cracks). I deburred the basket, soaked the fiber plates in oil for 1 hr, and modified the pushrod for more oil flow. The clutch worked great running up & down the street but that was after being assembled dripping with oil, I'll give it the real test this weekend. Say, why was my YZFWrench username deleted?

Phil
'00 YZ426

I have a new 426.  I have had it for about a month and have approx 8 rides on it.  So far I have not had a problem ( knock on wood).  I use Yamalube 4r.  My question is this- How long did it take for people to start noticing clutch problems?  Is this a problem that seems to rear it's ugly head with no regards to amount of use, ie. from first ride to several hours of use on the bike.

I noticed the problem after about 4 rides.

I have another interesting theory as to the clutch problem from another mechanic from a different shop. I will post it here when I am a little less sleepy.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Gentlemen,
     A quick update on my progress.
I have yet to pick up my bike. (slow arriving parts.) However, they tell me that Yamaha is aware of the problem and that I am getting a redesigned clutch basket. They also tell me that Yamaha will cover the cost of this repair.
     It should be ready sometime next week. I will get back on here as soon as I pick up my scooter and let you all know what ACTUALLY transpired.
     My fingers are crossed. he he

After a 3 hour ride yesterday I found my clutch worked perfectly, no more grabby/chatter BS. Also, I'm using Mobil 1 oil.

Phil
'00 YZ426

I am also having a grabby clutch. Really sucks for starts.  I got my bike before Christmas and didn't notice until after new years. (late Jan or Fe
  I was at Montclair and they had a 426 in that ws complaining about clutch and they couldn't figure it out. Since then alot has come out about the clutches and my extended warranty may not cover this. I hope Yamaha can help otherwise it's Hinson for me.

Big Fred, Ragdoll Racing, Phoenix, AZ

JB

i've had my 426 2 months. still haven't figured out how to ride it, but no clutch problems. using castrol gtx 10/40. iv'e abused it like a two stroke, and lugged down low. knock on wood

CHIP

Lifetime Sponsor
I am finally able to write about my clutch. I took it to me slightly inept Yamaha dealer. They agreed that there is a problem with my clutch and reported back to Yamaha corp. about it after they did a quick fix WITHOUT asking me. They took the metal plates and turned them around and reinstalled them in my bike. I was a bit leary of this but they tried to assure me that it will fix the problem of the grabby clutch. I have to admit after the bike is warmed (about 5 minutes) the clutch works the way it did new. That is the problem though. When new it worked fine too. I still believe it is the basket and I will recontact yamaha on it Monday to ask if they agree with the quick fix and will they still honor this if the problem comes up again. has anyone heard of this as a fix before and do you think it sounds right. To me, it sounds a bit suspiscious.

------------------
Chip
__________________________________________________                                              
If It's Too Loud, You're Too Old!!!

I work with a guy who bought a YZ426 3 weeks ago. While doing an uphill double, the motor abruptly stopped. The kick starter wouldn't move, and he felt it may have siezed. He took it back to the dealer and the dealer found that the clutch basket had let go, and a piece of it had wedged into the primary gear. The bike has been in the shop since Tuesday. The dealer is telling him that Yamaha made 2 batches of clutch baskets, and his had the "older" one in it, and they are putting the "newer" one in his bike. They are going thru the whole motor too. I will ask him to post an update Monday.

------------------
Work a little, play a little, get lucky.

What I think happens is the soak the plates in oil and causes the symptom to go away for a while an then it comes back. The bike shop that was grinding on my push rod was told to do this (soak plates) and it seemed at first the problem went away but returned the next day. I will also say this. I respect Rich's and others opinion that Mobile 1 15-50 works as well as Yamalube R and it seems to be the case in many bikes. After I replaced my clutch with a Hynson my problem went away. Because of the recommendation of people on this site, I bought Mobile 1 15-50. After I changed oil I noticed that the problem returned! Yes on my Hynson. Only for the first couple minutes after starting and riding, then it would go away. I changed back to Yamalube R and found that it never shows the problem. Now that is my experience and my opinion. There may be other factors that I am not aware of that caused this and the oils may be equal in quality and usability.

This is the only thing I do resent. Some people on DRN say that people who buy Yamalube R are stupid/foolish and are throwing away money by not using mobile one and that they are falling for a trap set by the motorcycle industry to gouge consumers. I am not one of those people, the manufacturer recommends this oil and claims it is manufactured for my bike. My experience has forced me to buy Yamalube R. I would like to buy cheaper mobile one but it causes a problem with my clutch. Now some might argue and try to convince others mobile one is the best and it may be but it did not work in my case and will state to anyone that they should use the oil the manufacture suggests for their bike. If they want to use a less expensive alternative and it works for them, great, but do not imply that people who put the manufacture correct oil in their bikes are idiots for doing so.

"Mobil 1 15W50 will work exceptionally well in a YZ400, or an XR650"
I do not agree with the statement above. It may work exceptionally well in other motorcycles but not mine (426) with a hynson clutch basket.  There is a difference and in my experience the Yamalube works better and eliminates the problem and I will tell people of my experience. Take it or leave it. The manufacture says that Yamalube has a different makeup from automotive oils and it seems to work better in my bike. Are people who use Mobile one stupid for doing so? No, if I could I would use it as well and save money. I would say that anyone that says that mobile one is superior to motorcycle designated oils is making a statement not based in fact and neither lines up with my experience.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience running Golden sprectro 4 synthetic blend?  I have about 20 hrs on my 426 and have not experienced ( and hope not to ) any clutch problems.

I bought my 426 about 5 weeks ago and it has been in the shop for 2 of the 5 weeks. It seems the oil sump bolt came out and went to war with the clutch basket. Needless to say the motor is being rebuilt. thanks yamaha<p align=right>05-16-2000 :Edited