Possibly the most important question in the world

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
No, it is not, "Why are we here?" or "Is there a God?". It is not even, "Who let the dogs out?". It is this... Why do we call a pair of handlebars a pair? There are only one. This has always baffled me.

Discuss.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Don't do this Thunder, the worms are already crawling outta the can as we speak!!:p Why ask why, sometimes you just have to have faith and let the light guide you!;)

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Why are pants in pairs? I don't have a pair of shirts. Don't say because you have two legs, I also have two arms.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I have a pair of handlebars. One is on the bike, and the other is waiting for me to crash. :p

Maybe a long time ago they came in two pieces? Like those little fold up pit bikes you see every now and then. Just a thought.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by a454elk
Don't do this Thunder, the worms are already crawling outta the can as we speak!!:p Why ask why, sometimes you just have to have faith and let the light guide you!;)

But I have to know elk! I have to know. So what if I never find out who my father is. So what if I never find out why my pet turtle went bye bye. So what if I never find out how many licks it takes to get to the chewy chocolaty center of a Tootsie pop. I must know the answer to this burning question. We have over 15,000 members, you would think that one of them would know this.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Aww man... good questions!

And why is it "bars" - I mean fatbars (like Tag T2's and Pro Tapers) are only ONE bar. Should we say: "my bike has a Tag T2 bar" that just ain't gonna cut it. Maybe it's the fact that there is two handle bars for your two hands I guess.

I got an extra "set" of Renthals - why a set? Bar pad and bars = set? I have no idea.

Good point Smitty on a pair of shirts? I just don't get it.

8th wonder of the world, I suppose. :think:

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Nikki, you have just driven my point home! That is what set it off for me. A few years back I called a shop and asked if they had a particular "set of Renthals". The guys said, "Yeah, $54" I then asked if that was for one bar, or for the whole set. He hung up on me. Go figure!

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Well with street bikes you can get a pair of "clip on" bars...there are actually 2 pieces to these and maybe this is just a carryover from long ago when they were really 2 pieces and them someone had the idea to mount them differently and a 1 piece option was born??? I dunno just a wild stab in the dark :think:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
96whyzee125, will you please go ask your nine year old son this question and see what he says?? I'm just curious. I bet he's got a good answer.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, I had clip-ons on an RD-350 back in the day. I had Clubman bars on my Kawi 400 triple though. Why were they "Clubman" bars? I never clubbed anybody with 'em.

And how come you can have two of a pant, but they can be called "two pairs" or "two pair"?????

And why can you call 'em "pants" or a "a pant"? And why isn't "pants" spelled "pance"? If you keep repeating "pants" to yourself, it will eventually sound like a very silly word. I say we should call 'em "lirts".

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Dangit, now my head hurts . . . :ugg:

A pair of boots, okay. A pair of gloves, yes. A pair of grips, certainly.

Pants, why? Why a pair of pants? Heck, why a pair of undershorts? I only wear one at a time, right? Handlebars? What the heck?

And for that matter, why is it called a tripleclamp? It only clamps to the bars <ack!> twice. It only clamps to the forks (fork?) twice? Or is that 4 times? Should it be called a doubleclamp? A quadrupleclamp? A sextupleclamp?

Dangit Thunder! Go watch your movie and stop making us think too hard! :ugg:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I told you Thunder, now look what you done did! :moon:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
since everyone is working to solve this, how about...

Is it a good thing if your vacuum cleaner sucks? Or that you leafblower blows? Why do "slow up" and "slow down" mean the same thing? Would you ever tell somebody they needed to "speed down"? Why does it always hit your shoes when you throw up? Shouldn't it hit on top of your head? :uh: Speaking of heads, mine's beginning to hurt. :think:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
OK, I've done some serious research on these "Pants" thingys. Here's what I got Thunder. The word "pants" comes from "pant". To pant is to breath rapidly in short gasps as after exertion, or to give off or emit steam in loud puffs and finally, to utter breathlessly. Thus, this conclusion: There was a time that no size tags were installed in trousers (plural for trouser). Big Betty Sullivan, of Long Island, NY., tried a pair of these trousers, unfortunately, they were 10 sizes too small. She began to "pant" (see above for description) while attempting to wear the garment. There we have the new name for the garment in question and also new legislation to add the size tags inside garments. My .02 cents, best I could do.:)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser

And why can you call 'em "pants" or a "a pant"? And why isn't "pants" spelled "pance"? If you keep repeating "pants" to yourself, it will eventually sound like a very silly word. I say we should call 'em "lirts". [/B]

they are called trousers where i come from!

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
wile we're talking about it, what do we park in driveways and drive on parkways? :think:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
ehh but why is "car"go shipped via frieght train or airplane?

ships carry cargo?
airplanes carry shipments?

:think:

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
I do industrial safety. We keep track of "near misses." But, wouldn't a near miss indicate at least a glancing blow- or a HIT.

Or, we take a nap. Where do we take it?

Kids are going together. Where are they going?

As the comedian Steven Wright used to wonder.... what's the deal with Jumbo shrimp. Isn't that mutually exclusive terminology. Or military intelligence... (My apologies to our fighting men doing our country a great service, its just carry over humor from the 60's and 70's).

And finally, a quote from a favorite musician by the name of Randy Stonehill: Live every day like its your last and one day you'll be right!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Triple clamps. They clamp three things: two fork legs and one bar. There is a top and a bottom. So they are triple meaning three and plural on clamps is because there are to of them.

Handle bars. Its kind of out there, but may be some one called the "pair of handle bars" a handle bar to begin with and some numskull said that since there were two grips on the bar they should be called a pair and handle bars. The frase was then stuck that way.

While we are pondering questions answer this one. If you could take you motorcycle to the speed of light and you looked down at you head light could you see the beam? Also as you passed the speed of sound could you hear the motor?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
That's all child's stuff. Pre-school brain-teasers. What I wanna know is...

What exactly happened the very first time the sh*t hit the fan? Did someone have such a bad day that they finally went over the deep end and grabbed a handful out of their tighties & hurled it at a co-worker? Then it all flung everywhere, on everyone, and just as the boss stepped out of his office to see what all the ruckus was about, a peice shot into his mouth? Did he look like the guy who played Elliott's brother Donny on Just Shoot Me?

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
And why do they call them apartments when they are really all stuck together? Where do you sit when you go to a ballgame, 'the STANDS"! Some roads with fast moving traffic are referred to as parkways? When a house catches on fire does it burn up or burn down? All very good questions indeed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom