powdercoating question...

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
I just had a question about powdercoating my 99 YZ400. I wanted to know if powdercoating shops will fill all the holes and stuff so that I do not get any sand into my frame when they are sand blasting because when I put new oil in and start my bike up that would not be good to have half of the beach flowing through my motor? If they don't what are some good tips to filling these holes? Also any advice for the "dipstick"? Will that be fine if I leave it in during the sand blasting? If any sand does get in, will I ever be able to get it all out with out ruining my motor? Thank's in advance.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The shop may or may not cover the holes. The one that did mine did. The Suzuki DR 350 frame also has a dipsstick area like the YZ. Powdercoat Express, in Salt Lake City (24 hour turn around and beautiful work) let me watch my frame being coated.

Any hole 1/4 inch or smaller is gone unless covered/plugged. Figure on drilling and tapping. The place that did mine had plastic plugs to fill the small holes and dipstick area. It was special plastic. It has to handle 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

I used old screws to plug the small stuff. Be sure and cut the powder from the screw before removal or it will chip.

My biggest screw up was in the swingarm pivot area. I ignored it. The swingarm pivot bolt would not fit! Serious! I had to ream it out to the correct size. I also had to sand the coating off the inside motormounts to get the engine to fit. This took forever because this stuff it tough! A bit of powder stuck to the steering head bearings. This refused to scrape off. I finally figured out that paint remover will remove the coating from bearing races.

I would also ask the shop that does yours to epoxy coat the frame as the final step. That way the gasoline will not attack the coating. I paid 150 bucks for the frame and the prep. Make sure they sandblast all of the old paint off first. Some cut rate places do not do this. Try to find a place that does dune buggy frames for show or Harleys. If you do, the shop has had been beat up so many times searching for perfection that you will not have to say a word.

My frame was a beater I bought off of e bay for 15.00. I ended up selling the bike for 2000.00 when I was done. The frame was th ebest part of the bike. It looked like it had been dipped in chocolate and allowed to dry.

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
So basically you are saying to close every hold some way? Even the screw holes. Also If I do get sand in the oil resi. What are some way's to get it out? Just buy some cheap oil and pour it through with the strainer out? You and alot of other's I have talked to basically sound like it is either gonna be a really good thing and nothing will be wrong or it will be bad by getting sand in the resi. and powdercoating in all the screw holes and stuff? I guess its just a chance I gotta take then. Thanks for your reply.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The resivor should not be a problem. When you drop the frame off, explain to the guys what it is for. They can avoid spraying sand in it. I had no sand in mine, just uncured powder. I used cheap oil just like you suggest.

You can always use cheap hardware store bolts to plug threaded areas. If you dont, you WILL end up drilling and tapping. The powder is that tough!

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
to save some money, you can also use "Air Plane Stripper" which is a REAL powerful paint stripper that should take it all off without the use of a sandblaster. just make sure everythings gone.

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
Should I leave the dipstick in or will it melt? Some guys say to leave it in and others say leave it out? I know the sandblaster will more than likely ruin it and for only 10 bux its no big deal? Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…