Dirt Bike Dan

Aug 18, 2004
I've got an old bike that needs some work this winter (hopefully I can get to it...) as well as a quad in dire need of a paint job as rust is getting a little bit out of control. My questions are:
How much should I expect to pay for just the bike or both?
Is it worth for a 20+ year old bike/10+ quad?
Should I strip it myself? I read about some airplane something or other that apparently took the paint right off. Would this lower the cost?
If not powdercoating, what is comparable?
As for the quad, it really is just about rust protection, so maybe something else could work?

The bike has a few bare metal spots, and looks generally dull and faded. I usually don't get to nit-picky about how it looks (evident in the awful green the plastics are), but if I'm taking it apart I figured wth, why not paint it. That and I've been meaning to paint my quad's frame for a year or two.

I thought I read somewhere about a do-it--yourself kit, but I don't think I have the equipment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 10, 2004
I would strip them down yourself and call some local places about powdercoating I think they charge by pound or something.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Nothing compares to powdercoating. It does stain, but other than that it's about a million times tougher than paint. The price of the job may include sandblasting. Call around. The local guy here blasts the parts as part of the deal. I got a whole frame done for under $200 and it's the best money I spent on the bike.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I had a KTM done about a year ago for $175. Check to see if the shop has a burn off oven. It will remove the paint and any oil or grease on the frame. Get a clear coat on it as well. Really gives it a little shine.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I paid 150 for a bike frame. The sandblasting was included.

The end result was show quality. The local company that did it specialized in high dollar dune buggies and 4 x 4's.

It would have been much more had I not chosen a color that someone else was using. The minimum about of powder the guy could get was 5lbs. I was lucky in that some rich guy was wanting a metallic silver for his dune buggy.

The finish was almost bulletproof. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I had mine done for free but they charge alittle over a hundred to do a frame. The burnoff oven is the best bet if they have one as it saves yourself or the shop a ton of prep time on the frame. I liked the powdercoating and its nice for none wear areas on the bike but it will rub off in time from your boots, etc just like regular paint does.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Do it yourself powdercoating!

Here is a link to a page with a bike that I powdercoated. The process is very simple but you must prep the metal before powdercoating. Even if your not a painter it's really tough to make a mistake! I did the Browns Chopper that is in the Jan. 04 issue of V-Twin. Ok the Browns suck this year...
Take a look at the bike at www.geaugacountycustoms.com/index.htm

An excellent source for obtaining materials and equipment...
Search for Columbia Coatings on the internet. Really cool colors and equipment for a real good price. I'm doing another frame this week. Bikes will be at Bike Week in Daytona. We will be riding our dirtbikes at Croom in Brooksville Fla. the last week of Feb. then off to Daytona. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone! :ride: Happy Riding

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think we have an expert in the house...That bike and your work is beautiful.

Is there any specific reason you chose to powdercoat this show bike vs painting?

Top Bottom