crf450infla

Jun 11, 2005
I just got a ktm 2003 200sx, making the switch to 2 strokes, When I start out it seems like 1st gear is very short, also 2nd. The bike is pulling fine, my question when does the power band kick in? I feel like I am over revving the bike. do i need to stay on the throttle ? How can I tell if I hit the power band? Thanks for any opinions.

lithium

Apr 10, 2005
Well...technically you can't really over rev a two stroke. But you'll know when it hits lol. 1st and 2nd gears might not have as much of a punch. But i know on my yz when i hit powerband in 3rd gear its a kick in the butt and i hang on for dear life. In first gear there isnt going to be that big of one..but in 2nd it should be a little more noticeable.. I would just keep on the throttle a little bit.. You'll know when it happens. If it revs a little high once or twice..No real biggie.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've always felt that PANTERA RULZ!
:aj:

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
crf450infla said:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I could over rev or not. just seems 1st is very short.

Maybe you just aren't used to it, just hold the throttle open a little longer, I don't believe you will hurt anything, you really can't overrev it. Its not like you will "float the valves".

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
lithium said:
Well...technically you can't really over rev a two stroke.

Technically , you most certainly can overrev a two-stroke. The laws of physics still apply ;)

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
The powerband is right in front of the carburetor.
It is basically a rubber band and can be found in two ways,
dig in with tools :p , or take your new bike out on pavement then twist the throttle. You will find it really fast.

The problem I think you're having is that 450 has made your senses lazy. If you are twisting the throttle like your 4 stroke your going to get 4 stroke response. Try shifting faster and much more often, you are no longer on a 450 that could start-off in 3rd and never need to change to 4th.

That little 200 will make you work harder and will make you a better rider in short order, but you will have to work for it.

Welcome to two strokes, you’re going to love it. 2 strokes are not for lazy riders.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
I'm not sure how the 200 is, but when I first started riding my 300 (after coming off 4 stroke) I found I needed to ride one gear higher. 1st and 2nd are pretty much useless unless you are in the tight stuff. I could ride second gear but there was still too much wheel spin. I had to use 3rd to get better traction control.

Once you become more familiar with the 2 stroke you will have a choice: ride smooth in a higher gear and carry momentum or point and shoot, steering with the rear wheel in a lower gear. Personally I like the latter better because of the fun factor, but it wears me out quickly.

You are lucky to have two awesome bikes!

crf450infla

Jun 11, 2005
thanks guys for the info. tomorrow will be my first ride with ths 2 stroke. going to some trails, looking for the fun factor. I think it won't take to long to get the hang of the bike. Thats why I come here for help, this place is awsome. :ride:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
Technically , you most certainly can overrev a two-stroke. The laws of physics still apply ;)

Figgered someone would jump on that. :)

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
KTM 200SX Extreeeeeeemly narrow power band, to make matters worse, its in the middle of the rev range - send to Eric Gorr - He fixed ours.

Top Bottom