Sep 11, 2005
hi. we are looking to get a power boat. We would use it in the Puget sound(salt water) mostly for cruising around and just a little wakeboarding in the summer.

We were originally looking at the sea rays(like the 185) but I was looking at the crownline and they look much nicer. if we get one it would be a 180 bow rider with the 220hp mercury MPI engine. it looks like that would cost about 20-25k, which is really pushing out budget. I have looked for them used but can't find much.

What do you think about these boats? Also everyone tells me boats are money pits. besides gas what cost so much? Also is a mercury 4.3 engine better or a Volvo 4.3 engine? Any one have any tips for boating newbies, I have done lots of research on boats and have drove and ridden in other peoples boats but never owned one.

What other boats should we look at(besides bayliners cause I hate those). We saw a zodiac future mk3 at the boat show which looked like a great value (65mph with 60hp sounded cool) but I just couldn't talk my self into one of those.

Thanks,
Colin

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Same engine just different control systems and outdrives. Since they are both really VERY similar across the board pick your boat based on the hull.

Yup boats are a hole in the water. I sold mine this year and the guy that bouht it got a very low hour boat for a good deal. Unlike cars boat don't have suspension so everything gets hammered, this causes stuff to break. Also the marine environment is a lot more harsh than sitting around in the air on pavement. Additionally boats turn more RPM's to propel themselves which of course causes excellerated wear compared to a typical car which most people can relate to in terms of operating expense.

My suggestion, unless you are REALLY going to use a boat on a VERY regular basis find a friend with a boat or rent one when you feel the urge.

Sep 11, 2005
well in the summer I would use it as much as my dad would put gas in it.

Also I was thinking are we better off with the zodiac futura? With 60hp it would go like 65mph. Also it would use less gas. The problem is its not really a "real boat" also its small and proably not very comfortable. But we could get one with trailer and engine and have gauges put in the dash all brand new for like $10k

What do you guys think, anyone have experience with the zodiacs(one with 40hp or bigger and with steering wheel?) I would like to find out more about those since I don't know if we could strech out buget enough to get a bow rider.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A Zodiac is not a ski boat even with a 60hp engine. The reason it goes a fast as it does with less HP is because it is very light and the hull has less drag in the water since it is more of a raft than a boat.

I'd suggest renting a boat a few times to see if it's really what your dad wantes to do before pulling the trigger. Buying a new boat is a sure way to loose a lot of money in a hurry because it will devalue 30% from the time you sign the papers to the time the hull gets wet.

Sep 11, 2005
we have rented boats a lot. Also I know why the zodiacs go so fast and I know about how going fast is all theyre good for. I am going to do my best to get a bow rider.

Anyone else have any tips/ advice or experience with the more entry level sport boats (liek the searay 185, crownline 180 ect)?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
cooldude3552000 said:
we have rented boats a lot. Also I know why the zodiacs go so fast and I know about how going fast is all theyre good for. I am going to do my best to get a bow rider.

Anyone else have any tips/ advice or experience with the more entry level sport boats (liek the searay 185, crownline 180 ect)?
Well it's seems you already KNOW a lot, so whay so many boat questions on a dirt bike forum? :coocoo:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom