4 Stroke Evolution - A Blogandt Moment

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure how many of you read Jason Weigandt's blog but this was a few days ago.

Blogandt said:
The Four-Stroke Revolution (Part 726,468 in a series)
October 21st, 2006
You know what was a killer time in the U.S? The roaring 20s. After the first World War ended (called the Great War back then because of course no one expected that a sequel would appear that was even bigger than the original) the U.S. was on fire. Everyone had money and fun and power and things were bigger better and louder than ever before. Everything was awesome. Ah, but things seemed so good that no one ever stopped and looked and realized things weren’t as good as they seemed. By 1929 everyone was in debt and maxed out and before it could be stopped, everyone was poor. Enter the Great Depression, and eventually, rules to prevent people from going too far with their money.

Now it’s happening in motocross. For almost a decade now, we’ve all believed that the four-stroke was the wave of the future. They were better because they were faster and easier to ride and had more torque and more traction and they required less maintenance. And we had these emissions rules checking in that only the thumpers could pass. So we all started buying the bikes and loving it. They were fast and light enough and fun to ride and they had that thunderous sound that was gonna’ draw fans. Plus we could cut back on costs since we didn’t have to change top ends anymore.

Sounded good. Now two-strokes are dunzo. Hardly anyone rides one, from the C class through to Ricky Carmichael. The future is now and we can all live it up.

But what’s this? Suddenly the true color of the four-stroke is shining through, and it’s not clear. Reality is setting in that we may have gone the wrong direction.

After nine years of hearing the super awesome benefits of the thumper, we’re hearing bad stuff quite a bit now. Such as: they’re too loud and we’re going to lose land. They blow up too much and fixing them costs too much, so people are not going racing anymore once the bike grenades. They cost too much to buy in the first place, too. The 250Fs cost too much to modify if you want to be competitive (I’ve heard Pro Circuit 250F engine work costs $3700. That’s a lot of money just to make a $6000 bike competitive). The 450s are a little more reliable and you don’t have to spend as much modifying them, but that’s because they’re too fast, especially in supercross.

Folks, we’ve got problems. From what I’m hearing, people just aren’t buying bikes like they were a few years ago. If a dad is putting payments down every month for a 250F that sits in the garage broken, he gets kind of miffed on the sport.

And just when all of this reality is striking, Honda releases the 150 four-stroke for the 85cc classes. Now you’re introducing bikes that are too expensive, too loud and too fast to the set that needs these qualities the least: kids.

We’re in trouble now, but I don’t know how you go back. I sure hope we don’t have to go through a Great Depression after this bubble bursts.

To read more musings of quite possibly the funniest guy in the mx media today check out http://www.blogandt.com/

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
He's just another guy with nothing original to say. What additional conversation is needed?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry heard it all before.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
most all of that and alot more was said at AMA congress, and has been discussed for 3-4 years. Today we are as close as ever to at least open the door to a much more level playing field, with more opportunities. Talked to more people on this today, the board should pass these rules changes, just hope it isn't to little to late.

November 16 (ish) will be that meeting. so we have to wait a few weeks. for the final draft.

wardy

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
He's just another guy with nothing original to say. What additional conversation is needed?

Not sure Rich, I guess I was wondering how many guys like me there are out there who this article seems to speak to. I really wanted to put my kid on a 250F the last few seasons but was terrified one engine mistake would end his racing due to no more $ in the budget to fix the bike. I'm also curious to see if we do end up going through a down time if the bubble does in fact burst.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I hope that injection wave hits soon :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rhein said:
the four stroke will be hurting once the direct injected 2 stroke comes along.
nuh uh, cuz they'll be injected too
:| :fft: :| :fft:
_40981859_cooking.jpg

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I dont have any factual numbers to prove that the 4 stroke I owned cost me more to own than the 2 strokes I have (and currently own). But seat of the pants says the 4 stroke was more, and this is with out any major malfunction breakdown. The bike was due for some more top end work when I sold it, but just some normal stuff. I think the reason it cost more was because I was more worried about it breaking down so I did more routine maintenence that I might have let slide on a 2 stroke. Buying the bike new was definitely more expensive.

But maintenence and cost aside, my biggest problem is with the noise. I had my buddy go down the ditch in front of my house about a half a mile to the railroad tracks and back. First he did it on a stock 2001 CR250 then on my stock 2002 KTM 400EXC. When he got down to the tracks I could still hear the KTM but not the CR250.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Rich Rohrich said:

I don't read it that way. This isn't a guy who trolls this site looking to start a 2T vs 4T flame. I thought he was a guy who covers races for OLN & Cycle News? He's basically a journalist, right? Maybe his blog article is based on his conversations with people at the races he covers?

Sure, the points he raises are ones that are well worn out by the people on THIS site. But for a person with wide industry exposure but no real bias (that I know of) to raise these points is significant IMO.

Jimmy Lewis from Dirt Rider has said before that he prefers 2Ts, so you can be cynical about his recent article. But what beef does Weigandt have?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
wanaride said:
I don't read it that way. This isn't a guy who trolls this site looking to start a 2T vs 4T flame. I thought he was a guy who covers races for OLN & Cycle News? He's basically a journalist, right? Maybe his blog article is based on his conversations with people at the races he covers?

He clearly knows NOTHING about what it takes to make a 250F competitive, but in spite of that he doesn't hesitate to quote some outrageous numbers to prop up his agenda.

The rest of it is just parroting the same stuff you can read in 200 places. LIke I said, nothing original or particularly interesting to most folks here.

He like everyone else is entitled to have whatever opinion he wants, but like so many "journalists" lately it seems to be more about saying something to get a reaction and fill space rather than providing anything useful to the readers.

I do agree with him on one important point. People buying a new bike, tossing the stock pipe and bolting on a 104db POS aftermarket pipe does nothing good for anyone other than some putz in California with a CNC pipe bender to pay for.

You are certainly entitled to see it differently.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Im gonna call BS on that blog. IMO, he is trying to twist the facts to suit his agenda. 4-stroke bikes arent excessively loud stock, people make them loud. It would be like saying that all Harleys are loud.
As far as maintenance costs. I guess it depends how you look at it. Yes, a 4-stroke costs more to rebuild but you dont have to rebuild it as often as you do a 2-stroke.

Top Bottom