power reeds and carbon fiber reeds. whats the difference?

Jul 25, 2005
any body tried the 607s and the new carbon fiber reeds and had a preference. can anybody tell the difference between the two . pluses and minuses to each. thanks :)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I've got a set of CF reeds sitting in the garage but I haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know when I do. However, it won't be a good evaluation because I think I still have _stock_ reeds in my bike and I'm sure any new reed will be an improvement!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Alrighty, I've got the Boyesen Pro reeds in the bike and have ridden it a few times. I don't know what I replaced, but they are yellowish single-stage fairly thick reeds with the stock reed stops. The Boyesen are dual stage; the carbon fiber reed is a full reed and the clear reed has twin holes in it. I removed the stock reed stops and am just using the Boyesen plate. The old reeds looked fine and sat flush on the cage.

I noticed immediately that the bike is smoother thru the mid-range. With the old reeds, it was almost pipey. Try to pull a wheelie and I needed to be just below the powerband and then the band hit, it would rev thru it pretty quick and hard. It was hard to actually ride the wheelie. With the B-sen reeds, the bike pulls harder lower and the front wheel starts coming up almost immediately. Low-mid power seems significantly better. I find that I can hold the wheel in the air and control it much better now. Top end doesn't seem to be changed much and that's fine with me.

After riding it for a bit with the same jets, I decided to fatten up the pilot. I've been running a 38 (@6000' elevation), but winter and colder weather are coming and I just wanted to mess with the jetting so I put a 40 pilot in. After riding it a bit I started adjusting the air screw and whatdyaknow? The air screw works! I never got noticed much difference in air screw settings previously, but I definitely do now. 1/4 turn makes a difference. Eventually I got it to where it pulled almost right off idle and was smooth but crisp all the way thru the throttle.

And then I spent the next 1/2 hour riding around my barn, pulling low RPM wheelies from the apex of one corner to the next. Big fun.

That's the report....

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
so you have the dual stage power reeds and you like the preformace?? Do you think these would be a good choice or should i get the carbon reeds. with the dual stage the power is from the bottom to mid end right?? thanks

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
just get the normal power reeds they will easily last twice as long and give the same performance.(well for me any way....didn't notice between the two)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom