dante

Mar 24, 2004
Do they have let begginers particapate? did'nt look like it on the flyer but i can't imagine beginners not being able to participate...

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Yes anyone can enter. You enter different classes within each race. i.e. my 9:30 race on Sunday = vets all classes. I've not done this district GP before but in other GP's like Elsonore and Carlsbad they let the higher ranking classes off the line first.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
They have Beginners in just about all the divisions. This is a list of the races by race & divisions for Sat & Sun:

Sat

Unclassified (Best of the West)
Vintage
250 HWT, 4 strokes (all)
Seniors 40+/Mags 50+ (Exp-Int)
Quads
Kids
Pee Wee
Team Race

Sun

Unclassified
Vets (30+ all)
Seniors 40+/Mags 50+ (Nov Beg)
Super Seniors (60+)
Women
Mini's (all)
Open / 0-200 / LWT 4 stroke
Championship Series.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Scar, A buddy and I will be doing the Sunday Unclassified and the Over 40 Open on Sun at 11AM. Your going to do back-to-back races? Im planning on putting for the unclassified to get to know the course and then riding harder for the class race.
If anyone is planning on doing Glen Helen, it isnt that tough. The jumps are almost all table tops and doable for beginners. You go from the starting line through the motorcross section through a drainage pipe into the REM track and then out to a sandy wash and up into the hills. From the hills you come back into the outskirts of the track where you will start the motorcross section again. The part to be aware of is the sandy wash after the REM track. Its full of deep sandy whoops that will cross you up if your not careful.
All in all it should be fun and not that tough. Scar is right though, you have a choice of starting as a novice or a beginner for your first time. I suggest you start as a beginner since you can move yourself up to a novice anytime. Im riding Beg right now but may move up to Novice in order to start in front of some slower riders.
Scar you interested in hooking up Sunday?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Boodac, Yes and yes.

Yes, I'm doing back to back races. I figure its about 1/2 an enduro. Honestly, I'll use the unclassified to get to know the course. and will go hard once teh vet class starts. I'm in teh Novice line as thats what I'm in in the BoW series. I called and they said I had to race that class if I wanted my points.

And Yes I'd like to hook up on Sunday. I'm flyng solo, and would love to hook up with you and friends. Do you want to meet before heading into Glen Helen? or at the track? I've never raced or been there before so all tips are appreciated. I'll be heading out from OC.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I was thinking about giving it a try just to see how my wrist does but it's not worth the $78 for an hour of racing/crashing. I might come out and spectate if I don't go for a ride somewhere.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm definitely not gonna race but Rhona and I might come spectate, maybe take some snaps of you guys. Where is it exactly ? What are the times for your respective races ? Where would we meet you fellas ? Are there concessions ? Any charge to get in ? Where do I park ? Etc ... etc ... etc.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
We can either meet inside or outside the track. Theres a $10 gate entry fee (per person) so be aware that you will have to pay to go inside. Theres a McDonalds right off of Sierra Ave if you guys want to hook up there or we can meet up at the track. I usually park near Big Al (I believe Tony remebers him) or can wait outside the track gate for you guys. Scar, my buddy and I will be racing the Unclassified at 8am. Scar should be racing right after that for the Vet race at 9:30am and my buddy and I will be racing at 11am. My buddy and I are preentered and was planning on being out at the races around 6:30am so if we hook up at Macs we can be there around 6am. Scar if your not preentered I believe the signups start at 6am. Its a busy race so make sure you get there early for that and we can meet up earlier if you need to finish all that.

mkellycole

Jan 2, 2005
I am looking for Prairie Dogs Club. I ran with them as a kid with my neighbor, a guy named Gordon Spengler back in the 70's. I would like to get into the club with my son. Anyone here know how?

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
mkellycole said:
I am looking for Prairie Dogs Club. I ran with them as a kid with my neighbor, a guy named Gordon Spengler back in the 70's. I would like to get into the club with my son. Anyone here know how?

You could go to their event this weekend and talk to someone in the club. They could give you the info you need. Here is the Prairie Dogs website which has some contact info. I got that link off of the AMA D37 website, which also has a forum section that you could probably use to talk to some Prairie Dogs members. I know that almost all of the clubs are more than happy to get new members.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Thumbs, It's only $48 for post entry and $10 gate., It was only 38 for pre-entry.

Boodac. I can meet you off Sierra at Mcdonalds. Is that of the 215 or 15?

I am pre-entered in the vet class and will sign up for the unclassified race when I arrive. I will also need to pick up my pie plate as we can't run our Enduro numbers. I'd like to arrive around 6 - 6:30. If thats too early for you I can just meet you there. Let me know

I'm planning on hanging out and watch the pro purse race later that day.

Eel, I believe all the facilities are open.

Directions off the entry form are:

From LA -OC Take I 15 north to 215 South, Exit 215 at Plam and go West. At the Sheriffs training center go right and it's about 1 mile to the track.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Sierra is right before the BlockBuster Pavilion offramp off the #15. Im assuming you will be coming up the #15 but if this isnt right let me know. You will pass Foothill, then Baseline, Summit and then there will be Sierra. McDys is just off the west side of the freeway next to an Arco and a Jack in the Box. Im game to be there anytime so just say when. Besides my buddy is coming from Cucamonga so that all works for me.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Come on out and ride Tony. You know your going to be sitting there wishing you did. Besides, the transponder is a one time expense.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Boodac,

I'm up for meeting around 6AM at McD's off Sieera on Sunday. As registration sounds like it may take a while. and our first race is at 8AM. Is that good for you?

I'll be in my Red Dodge Dakota quad cab with a KTM 300 with #28 on the plates in the back.

It should be fun.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
OK 6am at MCD's it is. Ill be driving a white Chevy HD2500 crew cab/long bed with a shiney new CRF450 in the back. My buddy will meet us there and will be driving a brown Ford F150 with a CRF450 as well. I hear we will be riding Mt. St. Helen this year. The ride up isnt as bad as the ride down. Its not bad unless someone goes down in front of you, then its a E-ticket ride when you hit the bottom. Still a lot of fun though.

Dont forget that you will need to pay the $10/person gate feet when you get there.

Rich

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Boodac said:
. I hear we will be riding Mt. St. Helen this year. The ride up isnt as bad as the ride down. Its not bad unless someone goes down in front of you, then its a E-ticket ride when you hit the bottom. Still a lot of fun though.

Rich

That would be awesome. We'll see how it compares to teh phelan sand hill and some of Kiwis nightmare hills in jawbone

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
So are you guys racing on Saturday or Sunday ? I'm confused.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Eel we are racing on Sunday. Why dont you come on out and try racing the GP series? The best one is usually 29 Palms (April), but Taft, earlier this month is definately in the hunt this year for the best race.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll see you guys Sunday morning at Mickey D's. Just a spectator - no racing this time for me.
I've considered GPs but never tried one - they seem awfully expensive for such a short race. A buddy of mine has been trying to convince me to go to the Virginia City Grand Prix later this year. Fact is - I'm a moto sissy. That's why I generally pass on the GP stuff - plus the price is just too high for the return. See you Sunday !

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I dunno, you people that plan to spectate may wish you were entered when the racing starts. :aj:

I've run this one twice, and both times I've missed the serious mud by a day (my race was always a bit muddy, but not so bad that they had to shorten the course). Porridge like mud bogs and knee deep water holes are the norm, although some years it's a dust bowl. This year the Sunday weather looks good, but I'd bring tear offs (or the like) anyway.

I also tried running the unclassified race in the two years that I entered. I was pooped for the real race the first time I tried it, so the second time I did a slow first loop, stopping every once in while to check the course and then did a quick second loop and pulled off (this strategy didn't help much). Sort of like a paid practice (in the company of some pretty fast riders).

Scar doing his race immediately after the unclassified is really Ironmaning it. :yikes:

I don't know if I'll make it, because I'm just not strong enough to go at a reasonable speed. But I've done crazier things.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Re: Ironmaning.

Of the GP's I've done, Elsinore and Carlsbad. After teh race was over I was tired but shortly after wished I could race again. A one race break would have been nice but that's when my class was scheduled. Plus, I'll have a 1/2 hour break. Like a reset between loops in the enduros. :cool: It'll be fun.

See you Sunday.

Eric, I was going to bring my digital camera, if you wouldn't mind snapping off a few race pics I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom