Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Who will be at Prarie City for the GP on Jan 19?  I sure would like to put a few faces to the names around here.  I will be there, White 2000 1 ton Chev truck (crew cab), red bike trailer, KTM #435, and my son is on a Kawi #436, oh yea and my wife will be the beautiful lady reading a book and taking pictures.

I race the c/vet class, and I am usually in no hurry to get off the starting line :moon: ;) I have to go to work on Monday ;) .  I ride my own pace and my main objective is to stay on two wheels and finish..

I hope to meet a few of you great people.. :thumb:

Lew

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hey Lew! I just got my flyer in the mail as well and I'm thinking about it too!! If I go, I'll be talking a few others into it as well. So have you rode this course before? Can you tell me about the terrain and lay of the land?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Yes I have ridden it before.  The ride will be muddy and slippery, alot of cantelope size rocks hiding in the grass, and watch for sudden drop offs.  Generally rolling terrain.  I ride at the ohv park severql times a year so I know it pretty well.  Last year I did this same event on my KDX and I endowed :(  I was unable to finish cause I bent the handle bars badly.  This will be my first competition with the new KTM, so I am hoping to avoid a repeat of last year...

Lew

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I'm thinking about it. I would have to get there early to race the A/B race at 9 AM. :( It would be cool to pit together. (I don't have a crew.)

Lew pretty much summed it up. A few mudholes to avoid. Lots of slippery round rocks in one section. A couple bits on paved roads. Some of the Hangtown track. Last time there they ran us in this (formerly) grass section that was axle-deep stinky mud. The weird thing they do is the start... instead of sitting on it or straddling the front wheel, you prop it up and run to it at the shotgun.

ktmchick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2002
Mick and I will be there. It'll be Mick's first race as a B grader, yey!!! Not sure yet if I will venture out there yet. Was at Praire City for the Lillipution and it didn't look like a fun race. But if Natalie and a few of the other great D36 gals are going to race it then I could be persuaded to not dog this one!!!

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
If the gals are doing it then maybe I'll do it too since we are on the same row. And since we have to run to the bikes I will be spotting them a good start.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I wish I were brave enough to do this GP.....I think GP is a cool race!
However, as I think about the start I experienced at Elsinore GP, I still get very nervous.....And Buddy says he wouldn't ride GP anymore. :ugg:
Anyway, even if you don't see us there, we will be thinking about you guys! :worship:

Mini

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Natalie,
This location is an accident waiting to happen for a novice rider. Boring ugly terrain, with few trees and no hills of any size, with way to many softball size rocks for this spodes taste. Good luck to all who are brave enough to ride this event. I'll see you guys at the Old Crow in March. ;)

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
108A,
Yeah, I may do Hollister if my schedule allows it. I like riding there a lot. Actually, Prairie City is the only place I've ever ridden where I was not impressed with the riding. :ugg:

Just my two cents...

Alex04

Apr 10, 2002
I live 20 minunites away from praire city it blows its flat and rocky its a accident waiting to happen I did the Lillipution HS and it sucked dust bottle necks and rocks but for some reason im gonna do the praie city GP why cant they do the race at Mamouth bar its perfect for cross country
Alex House 185c

patpipes

Uhhh...
May 5, 2002
If it keeps on raining the Dots will surely put a big mudhole in the course and if you follow the arrows watch for the clean riders smoking by you as they route around it! I get yelled at but I finish nice and clean and up a few spots!

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Hey BigBird I have never had a problem with Retsenior not being on time, he's usually early. He's probably still trying to dry out after going Scuba Diving at Wilseyville.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
It depends on what class you run. If you run "C" class, the race is 1:30 plus completing the lap your on at the 1:30 point. Usually this computes to four laps. The laps are 8 to 9 miles in length. So, this race would be 32 to 36 miles in length. If you run the "B" or "A" classes, the race is 2:00 plus lap completion. So, add a lap or two to compute.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Hey BigBird, look forward to seeing you out there. We rode this Sunday and Prarie City was a bit of a mess, if it doesn't rain before the weekend it will be 90% dry/moist with great traction and 10% quagmire - the typical PCGP with big old mud holes. The MX tracks have been closed for weeks due to muddy conditions, it will be interesting to see if they use them at all.

To anyone riding, bring tear-offs.

BigBird - I'm still getting used to my 300EXC and will wait a race or 2 to compete, thanks for all the set-up tips. By the way, both kids will be racing - I had them practicing their Le Mans starts this weekend.

juanroberts - there is no preriding the course. However, if you are at PC on Saturday the course will be 80% marked and the park is usually open to riding - do the math!

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
LocoCD,

Too bad I didn't post earlier. I was also at PC Sunday for a little while to practice riding those softball size rocks they have. I got there about 11:00 and went over to the staging area where the race starts. I saw some guys practicing the GP start, but I don't think it was you.

How do you like the 300 after switching from your XR650?

I'll be there Sunday for the race. I'll look for you and your family. It will be me, my wife and the Pug support team. :silly: I don't have my number yet, and I didn't run enough races last year to accumulate sufficient points to get a number under 150, so I'll be running whatever they give me.

This year I'm going to take a run at the SS enduro championship, so enduros will be my priority, and I'll do as many HS's as I can fit in.

Last edited:

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
BigBird - I am really enjoying the 300, MUCH easier to go fast than the 650... except perhaps in the desert. We will be at all of the Hare Scrambles, the 3 Family Enduros, maybe a regular enduro or 2 and plan to catch 2WORCS races and The Funky Chicken national HS in Oregon. It will be a busy year!

If you ever need any help in the pits let us know.

Last edited:

Alex04

Apr 10, 2002
Are they going to use the hangtown track or the practice track and is this any differient than the Lillipution h.s and whats this gp style start?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
GP starts are where you prop up your bike and stand about 10 or so yards in front. When the shot gun sounds you run to your bike, start it and begin the race. As far as the Hangtown track, yes they did use it last year. I would only assume they will use it again this year.
Lew

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
It's actually a Le Mans start, remember the old Le Mans car races where they run across and jump into the car to start?

A GP is technically a Hare Scramble type event with a section of pavement. There isn't much at Prarie city, usually just a short section.

Yhe MX tracks have been closed due to wet conditions, the rangers do not like them getting torn up. Frankly I would be surprised to see Hangtown used, but you never know!

Top Bottom