pre midrange flat spot (normal)

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
I have a 95 kx 265 with mo everywhere porting a 12oz. flywheel weight 14/49 stock gearing and a gnarly pipe with a turbine core 2 silencer and the timing is advanced a little but not all the way to the mark. I was wondering if it was normal for the transiton from the low-end torque to the midrange hit should have a flat spot in it. As i'am going through the gears on the road i can really notice it. If i'am in 3rd or 4th and i slowly wind out the gears you notice the low-end torque right off the bottom but then it seems to hit a flat spot for a bit until it runs out the gear a little bit then you feel the midrange kick in all the way through the top end with a pretty smooth transiton. I have noticed this in the woods on high traction areas but not so much in the slippery/loose terrain. Could this be a jetting issue because i have raised the needle one position and it really didn't help just started to spooge a little so i put it back the way it was. This may be normal but i would like to hear from other older kx 250 owners who could give me a little insite. Thanks Vic......... :think:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Vic,

I had a 94 KX250 which was then bored to 265,
and I have 95 KX250 , which was then bored to a 310.

The 94 was smooth all the way through the power, you couldn't really feel it come on the pipe, you could just hear it. For some reason, the 95 always "hit" much harder than the 94, both in stock 250 form and in big bore form. Maybe it's the ignition map? Make sure the powervalves are working correctly. Maybe your jetting is a little bit off?

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
To be honest i don't have any experience in checking the powervalve function. I think it opens up as the rpm increases via the shaft driven by the waterpump which turns a tapered spool with ballbearings inside that get forced to the outside of the spool forcing the rod that is connected to the powervalve rod inward. Does that sound right? Do i look for smooth full movement when i rev it out? I appriciate any help....... :worship:

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
I pulled the cover off the actuator for the powervalve and watched it as i raised the rpms and the actuator would move out when i raised the rpms and went back in as they dropped back to idle. The actuator responds right away and seems to move with no glitches. It is very sensitive to rpm you have to increase it very slightly or it will snap open, i hope this is normal.......................

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The powervalve actuators I've seen are also like you describe: all or nothing. Sounds like yours is working fine.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Thanks no hand, mabye it's time to check that timing and jetting, if i don't find anything there then it must be normal :rotfl:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom