elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I have just purchased a 2005 kx250, previous bike was a 1995 kx250. My new bike as quite a bit less bottom end than the 1995. The 2005 is all stock but a fmf fatty pipe and shorty silencer. Besides a flywheel weight what can I do to achieve more bottom and midrange power. The bike abolutely rips up top. I was thinking about an aftermarket reed valve system, any thoughts? Is it normal for the older bikes to have a very noticable strong low and midrange power compared to the newer 250's?

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
The fmf pipe is some of the problem. Most aftermarket pipe push the powerband towards the upper end. The fmf knarly pipe keeps the power down into the more usable power. Boyesen reeds can help some. Not sure on the others.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Carbon Tech lo-tension reeds work real good. They will affect some of the top end but you'll get a lot more low end.

If you want to spend some money, get it ported.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
go with the gnarly

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
My RM has a longer stroke thanks to PR2 engine works which gave me more bottom end. Porting will do great too like RM Dude says. ;)

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
elcamino12sec said:
Hey Kawamaha, did the gnarley make a very noticable difference in adding more low end?
yes, it did! first I increased the length of the stock pipe, resulted in more low end but less top end. then - I never bolt on a aftermarket pipe before and just want to try this - I run the gnarly that have almost the same top end than the stock pipe but remarkable more low to mid

Top Bottom