NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Hi,
I'm about to stumble on some preload spacers I have to find and install. After I manage to figure the size I need, I will have to decide if it's best to put the spacers on top or below the spring. It's a Showa TC on a 03' CR250. I remember on my old kayaba blader forks I read somewhere it was better to put the spacers on top. If I remember right it was because on the kayaba there was a oil passage right at the bottom of the spring and putting the preload spacer at that place would risk blocking it. It doesn't look the same on the showa, so I asume I can put the spacers anywhere, right?
Thanks
J-S

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
No Hand- i ran (past tense) some spacer on my TC showa and i put them at the bottom- doesnt the innerchamber sit inside the spring, i could see things going awry there thats why i ran them at the bottom. i am sure we will get an expert opinion though!

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hey guys, off the subject but can i use some preload spacer's to make the fork sit higher. I swapped to some lower rate spring's (42's, I weigh 150 lbs) and the front seems to hang down a little in the travel. Also do you guys know the standard length of the stock spring so i can measure them??

Erik

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
bedell99 said:
Hey guys, off the subject but can i use some preload spacer's to make the fork sit higher...
I'm pretty sure it is the main goal of these preload spacers. There used to be a post about the fork sag and how it is as important as the rear sag but is harder to measure. If I remember well it was measured in milimeters. about one third of the travel.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Ok I got a problem I just took aprt my forks, I measured my aftermarket springs (Eibach to be exact and they are approximetely 19 5/16~3/8" (491mm) They are ~2mm short of spec. Is that still within spec. Now you got me thinking should I use a preload spacer and if your do what is ypur recomendation.

Erik

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
bedell99 said:
Ok I got a problem I just took aprt my forks, I measured my aftermarket springs (Eibach to be exact and they are approximetely 19 5/16~3/8" (491mm) They are ~2mm short of spec. Is that still within spec. Now you got me thinking should I use a preload spacer and if your do what is ypur recomendation.

Erik
I'd vote for a 2mm spacer in each but If I'd be you I would wait and let the pros confirm. :cool:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL- my rm had something daft like 0.41 springs, i weigh 225 and for a stop gap i ran some 12mm spacers and the forks were great with not far off stock valving, everyone else liked them too.

got the proper springs in there now though.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Bdell Try this iof theyre still apart : take each spring and smack it down sideways on a hard floor and see if it comes back , sometimes theyll come back to original length, but after you use it it will probably take its set again ,actually only being 2mms off of a @500mm target is not far off of an accepance ratio its only only like .4% Id put a little spacer in there just because you say youre riding too low .Sounds like youre forks would work pretty good with a lighter spring with a bit of preload esp if youre lighter rider like you at @ 150lbs . try like a !0mm spacer and then if too much you could cut it down . Its a bit harder with those T/Cs though . Good Luck

Top Bottom