Which way do the preload spacer washers go?

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Hi all,

Remember the two washers with lips that surround the preload spacer (in the forks)? Which way do the "lips" face?

Do they both go into the preload spacer; both face away from the preload spacer; or, as it appears from the parts manual (here), does one point down into the top of the preload spacer to center it, and one point down into the spring to center it?

Yes, I should buy a service manual that probably shows this...it's on my list of "things to do"! :)

Thanks,

Jeff

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy Farmerj,

Yep, the lips go into the preload spacer on both ends.

Best,
Greg

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Greg, thanks for the reply!

My forks still had the stock metal spacers in them, and the washer lips are quite a bit smaller than the spacer diameter, so they "float" around in there. It didn't make sense to me. But they'll be tight in the PVC spacer just made.

Jeff

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, they did. Yes, they will.

With the steel sleeves the washers still 'centered' the spacer, even with the slop inherent.

As long as you can make the spacer long enough to allow for the lips, you're all set. I left one out 'cuz there wasn't enough room.

Timber Mtn Hare scrambles this weekend!! Two days (sat/sun). C'mon down!! Heck..it's only springtime...YOU got nuthin' to do!!!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Hey, no problem, Jeff. I had the same thing happen when I resprung mine.

Hare scrambles - sounds like fun; we'll all stay at CC's house. :-)

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
C'mon down! Well..you might ask the missus.

If you don't race you can troll for dead guys like me'n uncle marty.....and wibby if he finds his nipple.

;)

Poor guy.........He lost his nipple!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
For me, it would be come on up...

Oh, no, I'm slow. I'll be the dead guy in the back.

So how'd Wibby lose his nipple? They're generally pretty hard to detach...

:-) :-)

Best,
Greg

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
and wibby if he finds his nipple
ummmm - Wibby - would that be related to bottle, body, or bike?! :eek:

As long as you can make the spacer long enough to allow for the lips, you're all set. I left one out 'cuz there wasn't enough room.
CC,
There probably wasn't enough room because you filled up your fork with spring instead of spacer. Now why would a guy want to do that? :)

Mine came w/FRP 39s, so I still have some spacer room!

Timber Mtn Hare scrambles this weekend!! Two days (sat/sun). C'mon down!! Heck..it's only springtime...YOU got nuthin' to do!!!

Unfortunately, what we want to do, and what we are going to (have to) do, are sometimes two different things!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Wibby: good luck with your nipple, whichever broke off. :eek:

farmerj said:
Unfortunately, what we want to do, and what we are going to (have to) do, are sometimes two different things!

Can I hear an "AMEN" from the congregation?!?! Amen brother. :joke:

Best,
Greg

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
ummmm - Wibby - would that be related to bottle, body, or bike?!

Unfortunately my bike, my rear wheel to be exact.

Local Kawi dealer has spokes but no nipples :whiner:

Looks like I might have to ride with on spoke missin'

Or I could go buy that BIG 'zuki 650 dualsport I'm lookin' at (I'm sure that would be fun up on the Peak!) :ohmy:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
wibby said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Sorry to hear that. He must be one of the tragic minority known as the Indian Nippleless 500---a sad day indeed. :moon:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
wibby said:
Unfortunately my bike, my rear wheel to be exact.

Looks like I might have to ride with on spoke missin'

Or I could go buy that BIG 'zuki 650 dualsport I'm lookin' at (I'm sure that would be fun up on the Peak!) :ohmy:

I still think that I'd rather lose a spoke nipple than any of the other options. :-)

It usually takes about a week to get Kawi parts special ordered around here so that's a bummer I can relate to.

I want a KLR650 for a street/two track dirt bike myself. One of these days maybe...

Best,
Greg

Top Bottom