CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Personally....... I think 40:1 is the best way to go when using Golden Spectro. I have been running Golden Spectro (the black & gold bottle) since 1980 and using it at 40:1. To this day, I use it at 40:1 in my bikes, (KDX 200) chainsaw, weedwacker and leafblower and never had a problem.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I use 40:1 as well.

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
I just went to the amsoil interceptor oil and am running at 50:1 so far I have only put 60~70miles on the bike and it starts and runs fine.

Rick_Dallas

Feb 25, 2005
Wanted to get some input from your guys. Recently bought a 82 KDX 450. I had bought a new one in 82 so it brought back some good memories.

Went looking for engine oil and it seems there's lot of synthetic on the market and very little of the "old fashioned" kind. I'm aware that most people probably think synthetic is the way to go and I don't have any problem with that. However, is there anything special I need to do to convert to synthetic? What ratio would you run? I'm just riding trails. No MX stuff. Would it be just as simple as draining the tank and then start a fresh tank with synthetic? Does anyone prefer one brand over another?

Years ago, with cars, it used to be a pain in the a** to change from regular oil to synthetic although that may have changed in recent years. That's the main reason for my asking.

Sorry for the 20 questions but I'm just getting back into this and don't want to screw anything up. I also bought a 86 KDX 80 for my son so same questions for it.

Great forum! :aj:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Your car doesn't burn the synthetic hopefully.... your bike does. Synthetic burns cleaner and provides better lubrication for a longer top end life. In a car... you just don't want it slipping by your rings or leaking out the seals.... that's the problem with switching to synthetics in cars.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
To switch from mineral oil to synthetic, I suggest draining out the carb, tank and gas can. Do do something with the old oil burn it in some other appliance or your truck (unless you have a diesel, but you know what I mean). Then mix up new gas to use and start using it. In my experience, you will have no problems with mineral oil and synthetic oil not mixing, or gumming up, but I think it is better to change, rather than try to phase in. Cheers John

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Most run synthetic at 40 to 1 ratio. There are many good brands of all synthetic oils. Some have been previously mentioned and Mobil MX2T (available at Auto Zone) has proven satisfactory. I use Maxima and it is readily available from Rocky Mountain and others. I am old and hard core and probably the last to switch to synthetic, but it has proven to be the best, particularly on the KDX with the KIPS valves. Ride safe--John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom