XphilX

Jul 28, 2000
What psi is usually needed to seat the bead when putting a new tire on?
I got to 80 psi and I'm getting a little worried (probably a lot more than I need to be, but I figured I'd ask).

Thanks,
-Phil

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Usually if the bead is well lubricated, you only need to go up to 40 lbs. or so max. You should be able to see if the bead is seated properly.

XphilX

Jul 28, 2000
i bounced it, stepped on it, jumped on it, even thought about running it over with the truck, and i got nothing

more psi? or will it blow?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
It might or it might start to tear the tube so it does at a later date.
Bad things can happen if you go crazy with the air, or so I read, never want to find out.

Are you mounting a too big a tire on a small rim?

Are the rim locks the right size?

Try some slightly soapy water on the bead.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Just go back and forth with the air pressure. I usually do that and then leave the tire to sit at standard pressure for the next night if I'm not going riding immediately (at this point the bead is usually not seated on one side for about 1/5 of the rim circumference). After that the bead is usually seated.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I've never had to go above 60 psi. As mentioned, lube the bead with soapy water and try again. Whacking the offending area with a rubber mallet can also help. :)

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
Spray that sucker down with Amor-All or a similar product.
When I change tires, I usually lube the tire with Amor-All (wipe it on thick) the added slickness helps with the whole process and aids in seating the beads when inflated.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I do like Vic said, rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer. Just be careful not to dent your rim! :eek: Lotsa lube is the best thing though.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Although I don't recommend this method, one time I couldn't get a stubborn bead to seat on the rim. So I put the wheel on the bike and rode around at an easy pace. The bead seated in less than a mile.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
80 psi?!?! For Pete's sake, be CAREFUL! When I was 16 I was inflating a tire after a change and went too high with the pressure...the thing blew. I wasn't hurt, but I couldn't hear anything for about 2 hours. Scary. :whiner:

If you lube the bead properly, 20 psi should be plenty to seat it. Never go over 40.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Will you always hear the bead 'pop' as it seats?

I changed my first tire (a front), and aired it up with a manual bicycle pump. It looked like everything was a-okay, and the tire was evenly seated around the edge of the rim. Rode 20 miles in the woods &amp; no problems. But I never heard the tire really seat.

So is this thing gonna come flying off the rim someday when I'm WFO in 6th?

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I've never heard a tire with a tube "pop" when you seat the bead. Tubeless tires usually do. I guess that I've never realy paid attention when airing up my motorcycle tires. If it looks like the bead is seated than it is. You should be fine.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Danman's correct. The tube tires that we use aren't going to "pop" like the other tires. Tires I've spooned usually seat at around 20 psi properly lubed.

Check to make sure your rimlock isn't bulging out the tube or is caught on its edges. I remember having a problem similar to that in which the bead wouldn't set because of the rimlock.

Top Bottom