High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The pressure washer I got in the RV recently quit putting out the kind of pressure it used to (2400 PSI, I think). I was told it might be a valve that allows water to recirculate if no spraying is happening and pressure exceeds what is desired. Does this sound correct to anyone that knows anything about these things?

I've tried taking it to a local dealer, but they just want to sell me a ne valve assembly for $300. It is connected to a Honda GC160 motor (5hp). I can't even find a brand name on the pump or valve assembly. Anyone know?

Here is the pump:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/PW_Pump.jpg

Here is the outside (end) view of the valve assembly:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/PW_Outside.jpg

Here is the inside (what bolts to the pump) view of the valve assembly:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/PW_Inside.jpg

Here is the top view of the valve assembly:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/PW_Top.jpg

And here is what I think controls the recirculation:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mnyland/PW_Valve.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Can't help with the pump fix but I know when I looked for PW's, none of them would run off a gravity system or low pressure pump. Now, they may actually run that way but all of the sales folks and helplines for the manufacturers said you'd burn out pumps in a hurry using them that way.

Good luck getting it fixed.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've been running my Sam's Club special in siphon mode for 7 or 8 years. I've found the trick is to use a 3/4" ID hose and make perfectly sure that you have no air in the line.

This one is a custom installation in an RV. It is fed by an electric pump that pulls from a 150 gallon aluminum tank mounted up between the frame rails in the back.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
That's wierd...they were showing before. I switched the Images to links. (Maybe I've exceeded my allowable bandwidth usage?)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
HLG, Does the pressure stutter? Or is it constant just lower pressure?
Stuttering is caused by the pump cavitating or having air in it also you might want to look into cleaning the tip out with some CLR or other calcium deposit remover. This doesnt ususlly happen much to washers but in the case of a mobile storage tank and picking up water in different areas it could happen if the washer is put up with water in the wand it will start to form.

Hope this helps.
Phillip

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It's a constant , but lower pressure. I've tried two different hoses and wands...they both behaved the same.

The inside of this valve assembly (is that what I'm looking at?) does have a whitish appearance...could that be calcium deposits that might imply there are more elsewhere?

Thanks!

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Hey Gomer,

A worn sprayer tip will cause a reduction in pressure.

Those babbies do wear out with all the water going through it.

I bet if you replace the tip, you will be back in business as its the tip that causes back pressure.

My pressure reduction valve (bypass valve) sticks once in awhile and if I slighty tap it with a hammer, it brings the pressure right back up.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I tried it with the wand and tip from my other pressure washer and it still
doesn't have what it should. The other one is only 1500 PSI and it is
currently pushing a lot more pressure than the 2400 PSI one is. I actually
got it in this condition with the RV I just bought. The previous owner told
me that it was a dramatic change in the pressure, not a gradual one. That's
why I'm assuming it is a part failure somewhere within the pump / valving.

How familiar are you with the internals of the valving? The O-rings look
good, but I'm tempted to try replacing them, anyway.

Is this the bypass valve?
PW_Valve.jpg

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by oldguy
Gomer is your water intake screen clean? also check your PM I sent you a # for a guy that knows PWs

Good call big guy, I forgot about that!

HLG it might it be an engine problem too? How is that running? I know it's nothing you can ride but is it possiable it needs a top end? Dirty Air filter? Pug? Low HP would cause your drop in pressure.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I looked at the screen last night...it's clean. The motor seems to be running fine.

One thing I didn't mention was that the previous owner said that the drop in pressure was fairly sudden...not a gradual thing. To me that implies that something broke or sprung a leak somewhere.

I've taken some more of the valving apart..I'll try to put some more pictures up.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
BAAA-BAAAAAA, ooopps, :p

Goomer, bad news, not our pump.
what your explaining, buy saying it was a dramatic change makes me believe that a valve stuck, or something got in the unloader (the above pic) take it apart and clean and lub it up, remove the 6 hex heads and pull out the valves (they are just one way check valves). There should be caps and seats, make sure that they seal properly.
With the head off, all 3 pistons should be moving up and down the same amount.
Check that this weekend, if that does not help give me a call at work 414.256.8983 - I :moon: might answer the phone, I might not

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I took that Unloader apart. it looks like water is leaking past one of the seals (based on the rusty spring). I assume that would equalize the pressure and cause problems?

PW_Valve2.jpg

BTW, Thanks for the call last night!

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Let me know how it works out Gomer, If need be I might be able to come up with a suitable replacement pump :thumb:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Well, I cleaned everything up and put it all back together. I must have stripped one of the four bolts that holds the valve assembly to the pump, because once I got it cranked to full power, it was spraying with good pressure just before it pushed the bottom of the valve assembly off the pump and stripped out the bottom 2 bolts.

I drilled, tapped, and heli-coiled them only to have it happen again. I think I'm done with this one. :(

Hey Mike! Give me a jingle, pleathe?!?

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
I"M SORRY- BUT THIS NUMBER HAS BEEN DISCOUNNECTED. PLEASE CALL YOUR OPERATOR FOR ASSISTANCE! :flame: :flame:

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Gomer, give me a call back at work, leave me your address so I can ship this "High dollar repair kit" out to you. ;)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
HLG, hows it going with the Pressure Washer?
Phillip

Top Bottom