pressure washing!

kxcrazy03

Aug 11, 2007
hi, this may sound mad, but when using a pressure washer to clean your bike can it damage the engine or any other parts? sorry for such a c**p question. cheers!

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything except the exhaust and/or graphics.

Put an exhaust plug in the exhaust, and don't use an excessively strong pressure on the graphics.

Do the above, and I'm pretty sure you should be fine.

Afterwards you may want to consider re-lubing the chain and greasing usual parts etc.

kxcrazy03

Aug 11, 2007
alryte then thanx 4 that.:D i havn't be riding long and i usally just clean by hand which take for ever lol so i thought iwould that i would just ask before i did just to be on the safe side.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Don't spray any seals or bearings with a pressure washer. It will only push dirt and debris past the seals.

I never wash with a pressure sprayer, if I can help it.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I aways use a pressure washer - but I use a wide spray pattern and keep the tip aout 2 feet from the bike.

Too much pressure, too fine of a tip, and getting too close will rip off graphics, push dirt into bearings and drive too much water into cables.

Use it, just be cautious.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
IMO, washing by hand is the best way. It takes more time but you are able to see the little things that are starting to go wrong with your bike and fix them before they break. When you use a pressure washer, it's too easy to miss some of that stuff.

Never use hot water if you are using a pressure sprayer. This can cause condensation inside the cases and hubs and will rust bearings.

If you ride on muddy tracks you will probably have to use a pressure washer to get the mud off but, like Indy and Cap Obvious said, don't direct the spray at the seals, bearings or cables.

You will notice that they use pressure washers on the pros bikes between and after the motos. The big difference here is those bikes are completely disassembled between events and everything is checked or replaced. If you don't disassemble and check all of your bearings and seals on a regular basis, you should wash your bike by hand.

Just my opinion. :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I use a pressure washer most of the time. If it's just dusty I wash by hand. I disassemble and lube the linkage, swingarm, and steering stem bearings every few months. Be especially careful to avoid the airbox openings, electrical connections, and any bearings/seals.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
If you can, read the Dirt Bike Cleaning Techniques part in Motocross and Offroad performance handbook.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Some say that pressure washing loosens bolts :coocoo:

MagnaTrey

I'm Motorcycle colorblind
Jun 19, 2007
Double posted,sorry couldn't delete, weird..

Last edited:

MagnaTrey

Jun 19, 2007
This may sound a little nuts, but I like washing my bike by hand. I always have. I think that it's part of the whole "diversion" thing with me. I have a little too much stress in my life, (who doesn't,right?) and I just "get into" anything that has to do with my bikes...,crazy? :coocoo:

I also agree with Ol'89r. I think it also gives you a chance to check your bike out a little more thoroughly. :nod:

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
MagnaTrey said:
This may sound a little nuts, but I like washing my bike by hand. I always have. I think that it's part of the whole "diversion" thing with me.

Same thing here.
Its the same with maintenance too.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The absolute worst is starting your bike after washing! I have seen spray go right in the carb on some bikes,and at least the filter is soaked with water! It will clog the filter,till it gets started and pulls dirt in. If it happens while you are riding is one thing,but after washing,wash the filter!

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
or buy an air box cover i have one from twin air and i know acerbis makes them to they just cover the hole were your filter goes and the you can clean the air box real good too.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have never seen a cover I would trust taking a pressure washer wand to,it can still blow by the seal. Remove from subframe and douche throughly. Good time to check 4t sparkplugs. Rubber plumbing end cap clamped on the carb I trust,then clean! Out riding most of them come with them restrictive covers for a reason. But washing should not be when your engine,frame can be damaged! What does it take to remove the sub frame and tank? You can do a lot better job also! Believe me,been there done that,I should start it after washing to dry off,oops!

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006

The manual for my YZ250 states that the bike should be thourougly warmed up after washing.

Howsabout just plain, old, not spraying the filter/airbox openings? I don't see a need to point a pressure washer at the airbox anyway.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I always wash by hand and just be careful to not spray the hose directly at bearings, cables, etc. Before I start, I plug the exhaust and put duct tape over the airbox openings. After I hose off the big stuff, I spray the bike with Simple Green and use an SOS pad on the aluminum (book marks, etc.) and it comes very clean with just a hose. Every few rides, I will take off the plastic and tank and give it a thorough cleaning. I just don't believe I would use the power of a pressure washer if I had one.

MagnaTrey

Jun 19, 2007
CHR!S said:
Howsabout just plain, old, not spraying the filter/airbox openings? I don't see a need to point a pressure washer at the airbox anyway.

Ditto. This is exactly what I was thinking..

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…