slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Man it has been one of those weeks. I had my wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks ago and one was so bad that it is still killing me right now so I missed riding last weekend. While I was out of commision, I decided to do some needed maintenance on my bike and have it ready to roll when I was. I went and bought a new kick start return spring, new rear brakes, new front tire, new chain, and some odds and ends here and there and went to work. Last night prior to deciding to change the front tire, I was out doing stoppies in my street because I needed a fix since I had not been riding and my front brakes were nice and strong. Today, I pulled the front wheel to change the tire and went to work, leak checked my tube while it was out and all was good, tire went back on with out a hitch. Aired up the tire and got the usual little bit of leakage at the bead lock and the valvestem from the excess air trapped in there and figured it was fine. Went to start bleeding the front brakes. Two cans of brake fluid and 600,000 pumps on the front brake, it will not work. It will build no pressure and being that I have no patience for broken things at all, I start getting mad. I decide to set my front tire pressure for a minute to get my mind off the brakes that have worked like a champ forever and a day and just been bled 3 weeks ago and work fine. When I put the gauge on the tire, it's at 0. I air it up a bit and slap the gauge on and watch it fall from 15 psi to 0 while I hear air hissing. Try it once more to make sure I am not hearing and seeing things and yep, some how I popped my tube right by the valve stem and now I am twice as screwed. The bike shop was already closed and like an idiot, I don't have a spare tube even though I had thought about it at the bike shop today. Now my bike is broken, I can actually wear a helmet again but can't buy parts till Tuesday so another weekend pissed away and I was ready to go race tommorow although I would not even finish near the front because of how bad I feel, I just wanted to ride. Sorry, had to vent.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I hear ya. I had one of those mad venting days. Tried changing a flat tire.... well I ran out of patches before I ever got it fixed because I stayed mad the whole time. :bang: That set me back awhile because the tiny little town I lived in didn't sell decent patches and obviously if you can't even buy patches, there is no chance for a tube. I was out 2 weeks before I could make it to the next semi-metropolitan area for the stuff to repair it. :ugg:

I know you are bummed. Just take the time during the next week to cool off and work at leisurely pace and do it right. My little excercise mentioned above taught me that lesson. :cool: You will be up :ride: soon.

Moteaux!

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
We all have those days! The Moto Gods are speaking to you... Better not rush to get back on the bike if you are feeling like crap.

My moment was this morning, however small by comparison...
I decided to do the top end on my CR this morning. No biggie as I had all the parts.
I get through the entire ordeal in about 2.5 hours. I was bustin arse because I was going to the TX state fair today, so time was not on my side. I got her all buttoned up & it was time to fire it up... I turn on the gas and the overflow starts dumping fuel all over the ground and my shoes. In messing with carb I somehow managed to get the float stuck. Small matter. I had to leave it as it was time to go to the fair. I'll rotate it and pop the bowl off and give 'er a look. Hopefully it will be a 10 minute fix and I can break the bike in by going riding Sunday!

Keep your chin up. It is part of the game.

Top Bottom