Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My son is closing in on running his first race but as the concerned father I fear he isn't ready for primetime just yet. He was taking group lessons put on by the local MX association but of the 7 sessions he missed one due to weather one due to a nasty get off in the whoops during practice (on site Paramedic wouldn't let him ride till he had his knee x-rayed) and he missed the last 2 classes when he broke his wrist fooling around on his mountain bike. I have arranged for a couple of evenings of private lessons with a local pro who was the organizer of the local classes to alleviate my fears that my son isn't ready to race and to better prepare my son. My question is what can I expect to pay for private lessons? We were talking about a 3 or 4 hour lesson during the evening but we never really discussed cost for the lessons. The cost isn't a deciding factor as he is going for the lessons regardless for my piece of mind but I want to have an idea of what ballpark figure would be fair for this arrangement.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
really depends on the guy. one of our local pro puts on small size classes for about 4 kids for 8 hours and charges $150 each kid. One on one treatment might cost more???

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
i COULD be going to a MX school here.. from a retired pro rider.. ill get his name to you later.. its here in central texas.. and from Monday thru firday its $500 a rider... 15 ppl in the class.. you spend the night at the track.. he provides campers.. food, drinks.. and stuff.. get up and run every morning and evening.. (endurance) then you hit the track.. the guy does wonders for the ppl down here .. lata..

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I've taken lessons from a former four stroke world champ for $60 an hour. My best advice is to break the lessons in to two hour sessions when you are going one on one. It's just too much constant riding to focus and get your money's worth. If you are in a class of 15, it's a whole different story because you get less reps of each segment and more time to rest. I know kids can go non-stop for 3 or 4 hours, but their retention and concentration will go way down toward the end of the session.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Well hoosierf I wish I would have checked back on this thread again before the lessons as we had our second of two today and that was my exact observation. The second two hours seemed to just be repetition and the kids focus definately seemed to wane. Thx for the replies folks!

Top Bottom