THill

Oct 24, 2007
Guys i see alot on here about the FMF Gnarly pipes but not much said about the Pro Circuit Platinum 2 series..
Has anyone used the PC pipe and a FMF ?
If so any difference between them as constuction and
power...Thanks....

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I think the reason you don't see much said about the Pro Circuit pipes for the KDX is because they don't give the bike the ideal power spread most people normally look at achieving when bolting on a new pipe. The KDX is a trail bike, so most people want a pipe that will increase low end torque and traction for woods riding. The Pro Circuit pipes do the opposite. They take a little from the low end and give the bike great mid to top end power. Not that ideal for woods riding but makes the bike scream. Keep in mind this is pertaining to the KDX200. Pipes are different for the 220.

hart125

Dec 11, 2003
do a search,, a lot has been covered already. the above post couldn't be farther from the truth. The pro circuit pipes are more balanced and the fmf are more specific for low or high. They are also interchangeable between the 200 and 220

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
hart125 said:
do a search,, a lot has been covered already. the above post couldn't be farther from the truth. The pro circuit pipes are more balanced and the fmf are more specific for low or high. They are also interchangeable between the 200 and 220
Really? I have a KDX200 with a Pro Circuit rev pipe and I think my description of the power change is pretty close. I'm not saying that the Pro Circuit pipes make your bike worse for woods riding. My bike is great for woods, tight or open. I am saying however, that the power spread of a torque pipe (FMF Gnarly) is more ideal for woods riding because it accentuates bottom end and midrange. The Pro Circuit Platinum, a rev pipe, increases mid to top end. Am I wrong?

Depending on the type of rider that you are, either pipe could be ideal. But, most people, if you look around at KDX's on the forums, prefer the torque pipes for woods riding because of the low end chug. You can't tell me that you think you'd get the same low end from the PC Platinum as the FMF Gnarly, because you won't.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
XMotoX said:
Really? I have a KDX200 with a Pro Circuit rev pipe and I think my description of the power change is pretty close. I'm not saying that the Pro Circuit pipes make your bike worse for woods riding. My bike is great for woods, tight or open. I am saying however, that the power spread of a torque pipe (FMF Gnarly) is more ideal for woods riding because it accentuates bottom end and midrange. The Pro Circuit Platinum, a rev pipe, increases mid to top end. Am I wrong?

Depending on the type of rider that you are, either pipe could be ideal. But, most people, if you look around at KDX's on the forums, prefer the torque pipes for woods riding because of the low end chug. You can't tell me that you think you'd get the same low end from the PC Platinum as the FMF Gnarly, because you won't.

i think thats right. i dont have a kdx but i did choose the platinum over an fmf pipe for the mid gain for racing.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
THill said:
Guys i see alot on here about the FMF Gnarly pipes but not much said about the Pro Circuit Platinum 2 series..
Has anyone used the PC pipe and a FMF ?
If so any difference between them as constuction and
power...Thanks....
For the 220 the Gnrly desert will be similar to the P2, both good. I have the woods(similar to torque) for very tech terrain, it signs off pretty quick on top but I didn't buy it to scream it.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I believe that the Platinum 2 is more like the Gnarly boosting low end and the Platinum boosts all around performance. I guess a trip to the PC web site would clear this up. I've heard the PC fits better.... I still ride mine with the stock exhaust so I'm not commenting from experience, just what I've read.

hart125

Dec 11, 2003
heres a copy and paste of my response over on the kdxrider site to a question comparing those pipes. hope it helps! my bike now is a frp 200 overbore to 220 / frp porting. air striker rb carb, vforce 3, platinum 2 / 304 silencer.

Ive run all 4 pipes , both fmf and both pro circuit. All the information Ive read about peoples opinions match mine except a few. fmf torque and desert pipes are the thicker guage and pretty tough. the old platinum is thinner and very vulnerable and the platinum 2 is the same guage as the fmf and is obviously stronger.
the fmf pipes focus on extreme advantages while the pro circuit pipes are more in the middle. so the best bottom end pipe is the fmf torque, then the platinum 2 then the platinum then the fmf desert. the best top end is the other way around.
It looks like the platinum was really the best balanced pipe for the purpose of the kdx but then the 4 stroke control became a real driving force so the platinum 2 was the answer to get more 4 stroke control without the crazy top end hit. (just opinion) the platinum 2 is more of a bottom end pipe though and that is straight from pro circuit and distributors.
its my opinion that pro circuit has done better r&d because those pipes dont rob as much in certain rpms to gain in others. its been said before that if your in 1st through 3rd a lot then the torque pipe is what you want, 4th through 6th then the desert. I say I'm in 2nd through 5th a lot and need a versatile pipe so the platinum2 is the best balance for even power and the platinum is the best for top end with some low end.
just a last though, I'm not the only one who has said that it just seems like the platinum pipes have had better throttle response too so they feel stronger throught the range for some reason.

MaicoCPA

Sep 5, 2006
I've run the stock pipe, the PC Platinum II and the FMF Gnarly and I didn't notice much difference in the performance between the PC and the FMF (both are better than the stock pipe, though) but the PC pipe fit much better and the overall craftsmanship was noticibly better than the FMF.

THill

Oct 24, 2007
Guys thanks for the info..
I'd say im going to go for the PC P2 soon...

Top Bottom