84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
Has anybody ever used Pro Gold products??
I'm out of chain lube and grease and was thinking of trying Pro Gold stuff. Is it any good or not?

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
I have not used the Pro Gold but so far I think Honda's chain lube is the best that is out. It does not put that thick stuff all over your chain which slings all over the bike and is *&^% to get off. It comes in a red can.

axo959

Apr 4, 2002
If you can find it, buy ZEP 45 from an autoparts store. Big black can, orange letters. Its identical to the excellent honda-line stuff, but less expensive. :)

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I have used for a while the Maxima chain wax. It's good but it is hard to remove the wax off the rest of the bike. It doesn't sling all over but when I apply it, it splashes a bit around. Is that Zep 45 stuff better?

84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
Well I gave up on trying to find the Pro Gold grease, looks like the only place to find it is the manufacturer :think:

I purchased Mobil CM grease from a contractor supply house. The CM is an industrial (construction/mining) grease with 3% Molly. The rep from Mobil asked many questions about my application (linkages) and suggested the CM, then told me that I could not but it at a store or at a Mobil station!

Pro Gold suggested trying a dealer who orders from Parts Unlimited for the chain lube. Parts Unlimited doesn't carry the grease.

BUT...has anybody actually used the Pro Gold chain lube???

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
axo959, DOn;t be so sure of the "identical" part. It may be a similar fluid in looks, fell, and even smell...but it most likely isn't identical. Honda is quality fluid that has been designed for your application, I'm not sure Zep uses the same polymers, and most likely don't. In either case they both beat the heck out af any wax, bar none.

84xrGuy, Yes I'm familiar with ProGold. It is a proven winner in the BMX industry. It has yet to prove itself with our application, IMHO...but it is a dry-film and would be a good choice of lubricant...if used frequently. ProGold is one of the most expensive lubes you can purchase.

btw...that Mobil grease you got is a mucho better choice than ProGold's grease. The rep told you correctly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom