tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Hi all,

My kid's 03' YZ85 tranny had a mishap last weekend. One of the screws that holds the primary driven gear to the billet clutch hub backed out (yes, it had red loctite on it) and went through the crank gear. The basket gear cracked, main tranny shaft bent .007", and the crank was knocked out of true. I have a new basket assembly on order, straightened the shaft to less than a 1/2 thousandth,and trued the crank.

There doesnt appear to be any other damage. But when I cleaned and reassembled everything, the tranny doesn't seem to want to go through all the gears smoothly. It will shift through all 6 gears, but occasionally hangs, and doesnt immediately drop into gear even if I reverse the direction of the tranny shaft. It may "hang" anywhere, not just one particular gear.

I figured maybe I missed something, and took it apart again to be sure. Everything seems fine, and there is no real wear or discoloration on the shift forks. All the shafts are straight and there are no burs anywhere. The shift cam, and shift shaft seem to be in perfect shape. I reassembled it using a little more lube than the first time, and I am still having the same problem.

I haven't tested it with any load on it however, since the new basket assembly is in the mail. But I did rotate the countershaft sprocket while holding resistance on the main shaft, and it appears to still hang up. Is this normal?

This bike's tranny blew up a couple months ago when a tooth broke off of 3rd gear. I replaced a few gears, shafts, all bearings, and rebuilt the bottom end. Everything was fine. The tranny shifted fine on the stand, but the basket gear was installed when I tested it.

I think I have a problem, but I'm not totally sure. I am just trying to figure out if I need to order any more parts ahead of time so I won't have to wait on them again.

Any advice is much appreciated!

tri-mx'er

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom