problem with my shift pedal on my yZ125..

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Just got the bike, and noticed the kick pedal for the shifter was loose. I went to tighten it, and it snapped..

Now I can't get it on tight enough anymore. It doesn't seem like that's a replaceable part.. Any ideas?? Basically can't do anything now.. I tried getting it on as deep as it can go, then tighten it - but that doesn't do it.. It used to have a screw that went through the hole so it would stay in place - but since the cap piece broke off there's really nothing for it to grab onto..

I hope it's nothing too crazy..

brokepart1.jpg

brokepart2.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks guys

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Pull your right side cover, I think you can remove the shift shaft without splitting the cases. You may have to remove the clutch basket and kick start gear.

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
bruno670 said:
Easily replaceable. Do you feel confindent in your mechanical abilities?

Yeah.. I've swapped the trans in my AWD car by myself, and I've done cam jobs, turbo swaps, etc.. I should be able to do it. I have the Clymer manual - maybe I should just start tearing it apart? What is the part I'm going to need? Approximate $? I'm going to want to order it asap and start tearing it apart probably tomorrow..

thanks for the help guys.

B

biglou

Yep. Pull your kicker and the right side cover, then the clutch. Don't use the nipples that the 6 clutch pack bolts thread into to try to hold the outer hub, or you'll be needing one of those, too. Ask me how I learned that one...

Go to DGY.com and you can search their parts prices and see if they have the parts in stock. Great site for Yamaha parts. They have most any year bike parts breakdowns available for viewing. They've usually got a pretty decent discount off list price, too. I've heard lots of folks recommend bikebandit.com also, but I don't know much about that site or their prices.

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Sweet - thanks for the leads guys.. I bookmarked DGY! Great site.. I also checked bikebandit and they were more expensive on each piece.

Thanks again guys, mucho appreciated on the help.. Seems like a cheap/easy fix.. $37 for all parts..

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Ok, got the parts last night and put it in.. Everything went smooth till I went to put it all back together.. The five clutch springs/bolts - I was tightening them down, and they just didn't seem to get snug.. So I tightened one a little more and *SNAP*!!!

Broke a bolt into that clutch hub or boss or whatever it's called.. So, off to the parts store today for a new one.. $33 - not bad.. Just sucked.. I was rippin - I thought I was going to have to drill that tiny bolt out.. Then I realized it's probabl way easier to just replace that hub..

Also, didn't have a clutch holder tool but was able to get that hub nut off with my impact gun..

Also - needed another gasket for the case.. Not the right case, but there's like another part of the case that you have to take off too.. It's got the water pump and the kick start gear on it.. Not sure what it's called.. I'll see if they have that gasket too since It'll be easy to get to when I take the clutch out again.

Definitely easier than working on my car, but still the same BS - I always manage to fix something while breaking something else at the same time!! :D

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
CousinLarry said:
The five clutch springs/bolts - I was tightening them down, and they just didn't seem to get snug.. So I tightened one a little more and *SNAP*!!!

Those bolts dont need to be that tight, check your torque specs. If i remember right it think mine are even in/lbs instead of ft/lbs

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've snapped one of those once. The break was fairly jagged and I was able to use a small flat head screwdriver and just back the remaining bolt out. I was able to find a replacement at the hardware store.

Top Bottom