shooter114

Feb 23, 2008
hey all, ive got a 99 yz125 and after it locked up in 6th and slid for about 10m's it appears that the bottom end had seized.

I removed the engine to try and split the cases and after about 20hrs it finally came out but the main frame was no longer in 1 piece :yell:

so i took the top end off and grabbed it by the piston and after a quick pop it suddenly started to shift again on the bottom end, which was previously seized :coocoo:

So now i'm at the stage where i can choose to fully rebuild the bike or sell it off for parts, personally i think the rebuild would be an interesting and a good learning experience but i want to know how much cost time and effort would be involved .

I've got good hand tools, not much in the way of welding etc but otherwise nothing is too far beyond me.

And thinking about doing the athena big bore kit/ new exhaust/ jetting and remapping the CDI etc to get the most out of her

I'll list the prices of what i think i need below for the entire rebuild.

essential non essential
BRAKES
new disk rotors both $100-150
rebuild kit both $115
brake hoses both $60
levers $10
brake pads $25

ENGINE
bottom end rebuild kit $235
Athena big bore top end $660
shift lever ???
kick lever ???
a/m exhaust $350

WHEELS AND TYRES
new wheel bearings $25

SHOCKS
shock bearings $35
swingarm bearings $60
linkage bearings $60
steering stem $40

FRAME
main frame $200

PLASTICS AND GRAPHICS
graphics $75

I don't have full prices for everything and they are in aus dollars ( basically same as us dollar atm) with the extra shipping from the states )

As i can work out it'll be about $1100 to fully rebuild but without any extra's like an aftermarket exhaust/big bore top end etc. which seems reasonable to me but its the labor involved that could see me selling this off for a KTM 300exc

If there is anything ive left off apart from the top end( which is in good condition - 10 hrs after rebuild ) then let me know so i can factor it in!!! thanks all thoughts previous experience and USEFUL opinions are welcomed !!!!!!!!!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Couple of questions: 1) "main frame was no longer in one piece" Did you break the bike's frame getting the engine out? Where and what type of break? Can you post photo?
2) you pulled the piston and it popped and moved again. Was it a bearing holding it up or was it in gear and the transmission seized?

Except for the seized engine and maybe the broken frame, appears everything else on your wish list is not actually related to the problem you had with the engine. If your cases are good and your top end is good, you're looking at crank, bearings, gaskets and maybe some transmission parts if that is what caused it. Not familiar with aus currency, but it generally isn't a financial catastrophe to have a two stroke seizure. But looking at your other wish list parts, and the broken frame--your bike may be at the point where it isn't worth it to bring it up to snuff. And why the listing for the shift lever and kick start lever??

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom