fxrrider

Jan 21, 2008
hello,I bought a 90 ktm 250 a few weeks ago,it had a hole on the water pump cover,so i put jb weld on it put coolant in it and rode it for about 20 minutes,it ran real good with alot of power,but all of sudden it quit on me.I pushed it home and drained oil it was real milky and white,and bike has no compression.Was just wanting to know what I should do,did I blow it up?Its a real nice bike I want to fix it,I never worked on one.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Sounds like water in your oil. No compression means you'll have to pull the cylinder off and take a look at piston, rings and bore. And you'll obviously have to figure out how the water is getting in your oil. Often, it is the interior seal on the water pump. Once you plugged the hole, the water found the next weakest link to go through.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That hole you plugged was most likely the weep hole in the bottom of the water pump. It's there for a reason. It allows the water to escape when the seal goes bad. If it can't get out the weep hole, it's probably going to go past the oil seal.

Sounds to me like that's what happened too.

Might be a good idea to either get a service manual and get familiar with working on KTM's or find a good KTM mechanic.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Yah, I would think it's the waterpump seal or bearings. Buy a new impeller and shaft, bearings and seals, and rebuild it. My 01 YZ 250 needed the same thing. Didn't take too long.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Someone said:
Yah, I would think it's the waterpump seal or bearings. Buy a new impeller and shaft, bearings and seals, and rebuild it. My 01 YZ 250 needed the same thing. Didn't take too long.

Symptom - No compression. You think it's the water pump?

How?

fxrrider

Jan 21, 2008
thanks for info,im going to buy waterpump,seals,and check piston and rings,hope i it didnt do to much damage it did have excellent compression,im thinking the rings are shot from the mixing of oil/coolant,ill tear it down and find out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom