Project 220 continues...

grahams

Sep 26, 2001
What a weekend!! I picked up all the goodies that I ordered last week, and and finally finished fitting them last night. Thanks to all the brilliant chaps on this forum, everything worked perfectly (even the shin stack job!). So, from a bog stock 220R last week, I now have:

- Michelin tyres
- Michelin enduro tubes
- Gold Fren brake pads
- FMF Gnarly Desert exhaust
- FMF Powercore II silencer
- Racetech .42 front springs
- No airbox lid
- 2 less shim washers in the front forks
- New jets and a nice clean carb

I am just waiting for the engineering shop to complete my new front axle (the old one was bent and Kawasaki SA don't carry spares so I had to have one made :think: ). Then the front wheel can go back on and I can set the suspension up.

So by Saturday I should be testing the jetting :nod: Can't wait!!

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Don't forget the 12 tooth front sprocket "Most bang for the buck" :ride:

My 220 has all that although it came with it so I know no different except for the shim stack was that a big deal to perform ?

grahams

Sep 26, 2001
scairns said:
Don't forget the 12 tooth front sprocket "Most bang for the buck" :ride:

My 220 has all that although it came with it so I know no different except for the shim stack was that a big deal to perform ?

Yeah, I'm currently running a 13/48 gearing set so I guess a 12 on the front would sharpen the response up a bit.

The shim stack job as very easy. Since I don't have a compressor at home, I removed the forks and took them down to my local auto fitment centre. Just compress them slightly, and a burst with the impact wrench has the shim stack coming out. Removing the actual washers was also easy. A size 10 spanner and a 14 socket is all you need.

I can't wait for the weekend to arrive!! :laugh:

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Report back your results.

Unless you ride high speed logging road type stuff you will love the lower gearing, bring the front wheel up in any gear pretty much, but 6th gear does run out in some circumstances. For technical trails, works very well.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…