Promoting Bargain Basement Mx Racing

duke

Oct 9, 1999
In this months(December) issue of MXA, there was the usual bevy of articles depicting the pros/cons of the latest machines. However, in the readers column there was a gentleman who made note of his return to MX racing after a long hiatus away due to family/domestic responsibilities. Apparently, his last bike was a 95 YZ250. The reader asked if his bike, which is still in good shape according to him, would be competitive for local novice level racing. Much to MXA's credit they didn't cite the older bike as an ineffective, outdated mount, but acknowledged that even by todays standards it was a competitive machine. I believe Dirt Rider also did an article where they took a 94 CR250 freshened it up and showed how for about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a new bike, they could convert an 11 year old bike into a comptetetive machine. I think its great that the monthly rags are least recognizing the viability of older, less costly bikes as an alternative to spending 7 grand! Trail Rider magazine used to do similar articles as well.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
ditto

I agree, I have heard some of the best 125 motors honda ever made were in the mid 90's possibly the 96? I have seen riders clean up their motos on well jetted bombers against a class full of 450's. I really think the motocross community will soon start to get tired of the runaway cost of these new bikes and the aftermarket prices. Yes I know you get a great machine for the money, but if you dont race every sat and sun and dont really care about amateur championships or anything but having a good time, why go the expensive route? Two strokes are where its at for the weekend warrior....(that power sapping loam will start to pack down after practice, and the 2 smoke riders will be back in the game......) I love it when a 2 stroke 125 pulls out a win on the 250f's at our local trk. Its rare, but very cool.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I suspect that was the very message that was being imparted by MXA'a response to the gentleman. I would concur with your assessment that for the guy/gal who simply wants to compete for the shear fun of it and isn't concerned over points, etc.. that a good, clean "whatever" from the mid nineties on would be more then adequate for their needs. I think a lot people are coerced into thinking that anything less then this years model simply isnt going to meet their needs

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I'm keeping my '03 for this very reason. It's a matter of personal pride to holeshot and whip up on the $800 carbon fiber piped 450's! Unless you're consistently making the 40-man field at the nationals, the bike just doesn't matter that much.

Great post, by the way.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I should also add that there's no disrespect intended for guys who like to tinker with their bikes and blow a lot of money, more power to them. As long as they know the latest and "greatest" isn't necessary when it actually comes down to lap times.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
MXFastGuy said:
I should also add that there's no disrespect intended for guys who like to tinker with their bikes and blow a lot of money, more power to them. As long as they know the latest and "greatest" isn't necessary when it actually comes down to lap times.

Yeah, I could take you on your antique bike, :ride: :ride:

Just kidding, you are right on the money. Even though I have a newer bike, I still have very fond memories of old scoots and often times wish I still had them. Before buying my latest I looked and looked for an 02 CR250 and couldn' find one reasonable priced. Even though that bike was villified by mags, it was my all time favorite and most fun to ride.

I'm on a 4 and I still like it when someone beats one with a 2 stroke, you know they earned it.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I've got both those mags & enjoyed both immensely.
I bought both for their 250 2 stroke shoot outs.

I have a good friend that threw a handful of hundred dollar bills at a 1995 CR250 that he picked up for a song and dance. It goes like scolded dog. Another friend has a 1988 YZ 250 that he races. Another friend I just met has a 1989 YZ 250 that I had a chance to through a leg over last weekend. It was a great, powerful motor and I’m sure would only need some suspension valving to make it competitive in local racing.

What impressed me the most was the "How to tell if your thumper is DOOMED" article in MXA.
The article held me cold clammy grip to the pages tighter than a terrifying horror story. Yes actually I was in horror with what I was reading. Pull the head cover every 5 hours and pull the head regularly to check the valves. Strengthen the valve train with stronger springs and increase the entire valve train wear.
The ending paragraph was priceless, Quoting MXA December issue, page 172, " With proper service, your four stroke can easily last THREE to FOUR YEARS"....

PFFT, I'm on a 2002 two stroke that just took $150 out of my wallet for piston/rings/gaskets and oil. It is definitely powerful enough to race and will be for many years.

I’d bet a shiny Looney that in 10-20 years you won’t see a “will my 2002 CRF450 be competitive, can it be raced?” There will simply be a lot of rolling chassis around with F graphics and a 2” pile of soggy wet black kitty litter under them.

No $1500 limit will bring one of those back to life like the 1994 CR 250 in the back of the DirtBike Mag…

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
duke said:
for the guy/gal who simply wants to compete for the shear fun of it and isn't concerned over points, etc.. that a good, clean "whatever" from the mid nineties on would be more then adequate for their needs.

I just raced my '96 KDX200 at the Berthoud CO Hare Scramble and was just fine with the performance. I crashed on the 2nd lap- my fault, I got arm pump in the whoops and whiskey throttled off the next tabletop- and lost about 20 minutes, but up to that point, I was running in the pack and making quite a few passes. I counted it as a personal score everytime I passed a 250f, 300, or even a few 450f (in the turns, of course!). Sure, I'd like a newer bike, but the old KDX did just fine for my level of riding/racing.

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
I am in the process of rebuilding my CR250 from the bottom end up. All new transmission bearings and seals, new rod and crank assembly, crank bearings and seals, re-plating the cylinder, piston and rings, reeds, and a few extras, all for a little less than $700. With proper top-end maintenance, this bike will last for years to come.

kraut357

Oct 31, 2005
i ride a 1997 yz 125 and i'm still up in the top 3 weekly!! i may race flat track but the other 25 riders are all on '04 and newer machines!! and most are thumpers!!!! i'm not a pro by anymeans but the ol yz still gets them !!!!

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
duke said:
I believe Dirt Rider also did an article where they took a 94 CR250 freshened it up and showed how for about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a new bike, they could convert an 11 year old bike into a comptetetive machine. .

what month/issue was that one??

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
December 2005. I don't subscribe, but my dad does and he brought it over yesterday. It's a good read, these are the types of articles the mags need to do more of. They budgeted $1400 but ended up spending $1900 due to unexpecteds. It was a desert bike for a woman.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sorry, but i think the article was stupid- they spent more on that bike than what it was actually worth. You could easily buy a good condition 2000-2004 250 MX bike for $1900 or a hair more if you shopped around.

Putting 2 grand into a 10 year old bike that you would be lucky to sell for a grand is hardly a bargain now is it?

that said, i would happily go out and buy a 1987cr250 if i could find one.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
bclapham said:
sorry, but i think the article was stupid- they spent more on that bike than what it was actually worth. You could easily buy a good condition 2000-2004 250 MX bike for $1900 or a hair more if you shopped around.

Putting 2 grand into a 10 year old bike that you would be lucky to sell for a grand is hardly a bargain now is it?

that said, i would happily go out and buy a 1987cr250 if i could find one.

I am in complete agreement. The bike could have been sold for 1000.00 before anyone started working on it. Add this to their 1900.00 spent and they could have bought something as new as an 03 or 04.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
that is a TON of money to put into a used bike. I got my bike for $1300 (400-500 less than what it is worth). I have spent a LOT of money on it (cosmetics and engine, tires, etc...). I still only have like less than $2200 into it TOTAL (which I thought was a lot), but now the bike runs great, looks great, but is still an older bike. It probably does't run as well as a newer $4700 2005 used YZ250 my buddy just bought, but that is a HUGE difference in price.

Top Bottom