njkx

Apr 13, 2004
I could use some pointers on body position/attack position. i think i know the basics (try to grip with your legs, elbows up, etc.) I'm good in corners but when i am standing and going fast my back gets tired quickly and I have to pull off the track. I know I'm doing something wrong cause I'm definitely exerting too much energy.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
One of the best tips I've read about the attack position is that you should always be able to read your own number plate. Also, crouching a little bit lower and squeezing the bike between your legs increases control and reduces arm pump.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Another thing is to move forward and back in *anticipation* of what the bike will do rather than in reaction to it. Basically, get back before you brake and get forward on the bike as you are twisting the throttle. Nothing harder than trying to climb forward while already accelerating.

KillJoy

Jan 7, 2004
Once again some tips from my riding book...

* CENTER YOUR HEAD
When in the central location, or standing, position your head directly above the handlebar mounts.

* KNEE POSITION
When standing in the central location, position you knee joints directly above your ankle joints. Squeeze the seat with your knees. When you move from this position, pivot from your knees where they squeeze the seat.

* SITTING WEIGHT TRANSFER
When sitting, shift your weight by leaning your upper body rather than sliding on the seat.

* GO WITH THE FLOW
Relax you upper body in order to flow with the motorcycle.

* LOWER YOUR CENTER OF GRAVITY
Carry most of your weight on you footpegs to lower your center of gravity.

* ELBOWS UP
Keep your elbows up and out, away from tour sides, while over gripping the throttle.

* SQUARE SHOULDERS
Use side-to-side movement for control. Your shoulders should stay level as you move from side to side on the motorcycle. Do not twist your upper body. Keep your shoulders center toward the direction you want to go.

* MOVE AROUND
In general, lean forward when you accelerate, and back when you brake.

* BACK POSITION
Straighten your back when leaning forward; crouch your back when moving back.

* FOOT POSITION
Ride with the balls of your feet on the footpegs.

* FOOT POSITION WHILE BRAKING
When using the brake or shifter, the arch of your foot should be on the footpeg.

* FOOT POSITION WHILE SHIFTING
When you are accelerating and your body position is in the forward position, lift your foot of the footpeg in order to shift.

* ONE OR TWO FINGERS ON THE CLUTCH
Use one or two fingers on the clutch and keep those fingers on the clutch at all times.

* HAND DEXTERITY
Learn to work the levers and hold onto the grips independently.

© Pro Motocross & Off-Road Motorcycle riding Techniques
(Forgot about this :bang: )

Hope they help :)

Last edited:

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
thanks guys. this is good. i think my main problem is I'm just too stiff in my upper body, therefore getting tired quickly.

Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
Should I stay in center position and leaned forward on straight track with a lot of bumps? Or should move my butt to the rear fender? Thanks.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
It depends on how bumpy the track is, but you should never stay in one position for very long. Like Gomer said, you want to be pro-active by moving forward or back in anticipation of how the bike will react. Just be fluid. Generally, you will be balanced and centered while the bike is accelerating. If it's really rough, like a stadium-style whoop section, you will be back at times and centered at other times. Look far ahead of your front wheel so you know what's coming.

mxmatt426

Feb 2, 2004
After switching from KTM's to Yamahas my back hurt while riding so I tried adding an inch of seat foam and purchased Pro-Taper bars and the universal adapters (adds almost an inch of height), and my back quit hurting. But, I am tall for an MXer at 6'4". I think alot of people are not comfortable on there bike and they try to adapt to a cramped postion instead of fixing the problem.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
KillJoy said:
* FOOT POSITION
Ride with the balls of your feet on the footpegs.

does anybody actually do this? ive tried a few times, i find it very uncomfortable and easy to fall off the pegs. And wouldnt you have to move your feet constantly for shifting and braking anyways?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The only time I ride on the balls of my feet is when going through whoops. I figure I need every extra little bit of suspension to keep my feet on/near the pegs.

corndog

Dec 30, 2003
Hi Njkx,

I have nearly stopped my back huting when I ride at the local Motox practice track by-
a, making sure my kidney belt is in the proper place
b, doing this lower back exercise (olympic bar with 10kg each end, bend legs slightly, bend at waist (like you are going to touch your toes), pick up weight, lift weight until you are standing upright, bend down untill weight is 1inch from ground, lift till standing up..., do three sets of ten lifts, do this once a week, keep knees slightly bent throughout!)
c, spent two months in a pilaties class with 20 middle aged women (Im 30 so some looked quite good to me!) building up my core mussles (did this last year) This felt like it was doing nothing for me but my permanently sore back cured itself after the first lesson.
d, losing 1 stone of fat
e, standing taller on the bike (knees less bent) this was helped by...
f, slightly higher handlebars
all have helped especialy c and e. Be careful when doing exercise as described in c, if you do it wrong you can do a lot more damage than good but this exercise has really helped me, make sure the weight is light and you do the exercise slowly, I could lift a heavier weight but I would not gain anything, I do not do the exercise if my back is allready sore. Doing d, losing a stone of fat, is hard, I lost my appetite when I was seperating with my girlfriend of seven years, so there you go, you know what to do now!

Corndog

Top Bottom