Proper break-in procedure for my -02 520 SX

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I will be getting a -02 520 SX this week, and was wondering about the proper break-in procedure. The manual probably says the same thing as my dad's 380 SX manual, 500 km or 5 hours of easy/varying riding without stressing the engine too much. I'm not about to putt around the track for five hours, so I was wondering whether there was some kind of an ideal.

I'm thinking the same thing I've been doing with two-strokes, that is first about 5-10 minutes real easy riding 'til the bike warms up and then letting it cool down (I've let the bikes cool down for 15-30 minutes, is it necessary or beneficial to wait for a longer period (we're getting just below freezing around here this time of year))?

After this I ride a bit longer and harder and wait about the same amount of time. Then I just ride normally but avoid extended periods of high load until the first tank of gas is gone and then I go home and change the oil and filters and proceed to ride normally.

Am I hurting the bike doing this? One thing I've seen recommended is to do the first heat-cycle with the bike on a stand, but I don't feel comfortable letting a racing bike with no cooling fans just sit there and cook. I would let the bike cool down for hours between the first little rides, but I have to take a 30 minute trip to the track and I don't like to just hang around there waiting for the bike to cool down.

Thanks for any replies.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…