chrishorton

Nov 25, 2002
I am looking at a new topend kit for my '97 YZ 125 and was wondering which brand i should pick. I want yalls opinion on these two brands and want to know which yall think is better between Prox and Wiseco. Please help!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Chris,
I run a 97 cylinder on my YZ and have been very happy with the Wiseco Pro-lite. Still retains very high compression after 9 months @ about 20 hours or so of riding. I have the cylinder ported for more of a low to mid and bored to a 133 (56mm.) but if you're stock the pn# is a 726m05400.
Good luck,

boomer, contribute or dry up. :think:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
All I have to offer is that I have nothing to contribute other than I have always used Wiseco pistons. For no other reason except that is what I've bought and they've worked for me. Your post was a good, positive, useful, contributing post, the others weren't (including my own).

Is that better mods? Sorry....

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I think he means oem and pro-x. Wiseco is a forged piston, Pro-x and oem are cast. I always go with stock parts now for my CR. When I had my kx 144 I had to use wiseco. Both are good. Just make sure you break in wiseco's carefully. They have a tendency to cold seize if you aren't careful.

Erik
2002 CR250

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Cast and forged pistons require different "break-in" techniques. This is due to the grain flow in the material. Most factory pistons are cast. I have heard Pro-X pistons are cast too. Not sure about Vertex pistons though.

I have always used Wiseco aftermarket pistons and they are the factory piston for GG. Three or four heat/cool cycles without going WFO are enough to properly "break-in" a Wiseco piston. Make sure to get the piston pin circlips installed properly. This is where most people screw up on a Wiseco piston. It ends up trashing their cylinder and then they blame their incompetance on Wiseco. :|

Top Bottom