Pulling Flywheel

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
I got the ignition cover off now how do I remove the flywheel off the bike to get at the stator?? Its a kdx 200 !!

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
That link didn't work so I dont know what the other thing is. Is there any site that shows some details with Pics so I know what i'm looking at???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You should be able to buy one at your local bike shop for about that price. Why bother with shipping and other auction hassles when you can buy one off the rack today?

Sorry...but if you need to ask how to get the flywheel off, a couple other things come to mind.

For one, note the left hand threads on the puller.

If you are going to use handtools to remove the flywheel (as opposed to air), you will need to keep the engine from turning during the removal (and install) process. It may be sufficient to put the bike in gear and apply the rear brake. There are devices available you thread in the spark plug hole that work well. Basically it hits the top of the piston preventing engine revolution.

When you put the flywheel back on, ensure the key stays in place in the crank slot. It can slip out easily and you will never see it. Stick something in the slot after the flywheel is back on to make sure the key stayed where it was supposed to.

TORQUE the flywheel to spec.

Treat the flywheel with care. A sharp impact can lessen the gauss field (magnet strength). You don't want to be buying a new flywheel!! Lot'sa $$.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
canyncarvr said:
...There are devices available you thread in the spark plug hole that work well. Basically it hits the top of the piston preventing engine revolution...
I've got one of those and I'm semi-afraid to use it. Seems like a fairly small surface area to push on the top of the piston. I know the tool is supposed to "break" before anything else, but still...

I've used the "soft rope in the spark plug hole" trick before, but not the thread-in tool. This isn't really a threadjack I don't think...any feedback on these "thread into the hole" tools?

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
I'll try to put it in gear and press the brake. What is the "KEY" that you are refering too?? I've never did any electrical stuff on bikes before. A picture if available is $golden$ at this point. :cool:

Is there any post that show all the steps online anywhere??? There were some usefull ones when I attacked the carbs with some good pictures and detail.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I think what you really need is the service manual. Lot's of good pix and drawings in there, as well as the procedures. Working on the bike without one is a quick way to damage things that cost a lot more than the book.

Mike.

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
true, but im a college kid on a $$ budget. Saving any cash is a plus for me right now. Maybe ill buy one and do the old "use and return". :)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The key is just that, a half moon shaped key that sits in the keyway on the crank and in the flywheel. It makes sure the flywheel can only be installed one way and timed correctly. Keeps it from moving as well. You'll see when you get it apart, it's super simple.

I bought a flywheel puller from the local dealer for 8 or 9 bucks. Handy to have around, and the model that fits the KDX's fits almost every other 2 stroke bike on the planet. I had mine on and off several times last year, had no problem with just putting the bike in 6th gear and holding the brake while turning the puller with a rachet.

PS, make sure you mark the timing on the plate after you pull the flywheel. If you are putting in a new stator and turn the plate (it has some amount of adjsutment for timing) you can change the bikes performace quite a bit, in a bad way.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
college kid on a budget? take the bike to shop and let them pull the flywheel. bring a six pack on a friday and they might do it free. You are MOST likely going to need an impact driver (screwdriver) to get the screws off that retain the stator...unless you have a great screwdriver with a lot of bite.....I cannot stress enough to get the right tools....you are messing with a sensitive area of the bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…