kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
My good friend just pulverized (dr. didn't say fracture, he said pulverized 3 times!) his wrist. The doctor said he won't have mobility of his wrist...EVER! They did surgery last night and put in four pins through the forehand and arm to "stretch" the bones therefore pulling them back into place somewhat. He expects that the bones (approx 23 bones) will fuse together. Tendons seem fine at this point and he has movement of his fingers.

does anyone know about this type of injury and if he can in fact expect permanent immobility? He's a pilot in the Marine Corps and the ortho is telling him he won't fly again.

Any information would be appreciated

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
c'mon guys does anyone know anything?? He got the injury while going over a table top. There was a small lip at the very end and we believe it caught the rear tire throwing him into an endo. He has bruises accross his thighs and he's pretty banged up. When I found him his pants were around his ankles! His body will heal but we need stats on his wrist. His doctor isn't personable (in fact, he has no sense of humor and his very dry! He's got the personality of a peanut!) Do people come back from an injury like this and ride again?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
What wrist? If it was the left, and he cant bend his wrist but his fingers still work, he could probably work around that and still ride. Right wrist, Im not so sure.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I don't personally know anyone with a pulverized wrist, so I don't have anything useful to add. I'd guess that only time will tell.

YZ125jk

Registered
Mar 14, 2005
I think sense he did that he will not be able to bend his wrist very much and probablly badly pinched a nerve were it cant be fixed so then he would eighter have not feeling or off and on and thats why they wouldnt want him flying again or anything else like dirt biking,atvs,etc....If he were to do that stuff he could possibly be re injured even worse or death...I had a friend who had his hand crushed by a 2 ton boulder and he could really do anything.Hopefully he wont be to bad.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I injured mine in a very similar way. I am not sure I ever pulverized it. Sure, the mobility is terrible. My hand goes numb after 10-15 minutes of riding and I was hurt years ago.

Most Dr's hate motorcycles anyway. You coudl have a toothache and he would advise you not to ride anymore. Several companies make good wrist braces and these help.

Best of luck to your friend. He is going to be the one to set his own linits.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Thanks for the well wishes and suggestions. He saw a new team of hand surgeons at Balboa (naval medical center San Diego) yesterday. He will likely be medically discharged from the Corps... This is very sad since he only has a little over 1 1/2 years until retirement. They will however do their best to repair his wrist. Talk is of them taking out bone from his hip and attempting to rebuild what they can along w/ tiny pins. For him, the worst part is that he will never fly again (f-18 hornets) and going into the airlines upon retirement.

Top Bottom