My dad was in a near fatal Motorcycle accident.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
The first thing that I want to say is:

Please, NEVER EVER drink and ride motorcycles. Never ride EVER when you're intoxicated with anything.

The second thing I want to say is:

Always... ALWAYS wear your helmet. I don't care if you think it looks "uncool" or whatever. Life is too fragile to look cool risking it.

My dad had been at a bar, all day, out with one of his riding buddies Toby. They were drunk and should not have even thought about getting back on their motorcycles. My sister was at the house with me and asked me if I wanted to go meet him with her to eat some craw fish. (nasty)

I had already eaten, so I said no. So my sister and her boyfriend headed over to the craw fish boil at around 8 P.M. While they were on their way, my dad called them to tell them that he was leaving... to go to another bar across town.

They were already almost to the place, so they just figured they would eat and go meet him later. Well, while he was on his way there is a curve in the road called "Dead Man's Curve...(morbid? yes)" As my dad and his friend Toby approached it they were going approximately 45 miles per hour.

Toby was in front and from what he says, he looked in his rear view mirror after making the curve and all he could see was my dad's motorcycle flipping down the street. At the curve, the road splits and in the middle there are concrete dividers lining the road.

The only reasonable explanation we can come up with is that he was distracted (and drunk) and just reacted late to the curve.

He hit the dividers head on at 45mph. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

When the paramedics arrived on the scene he was in and out of consciousness, and wasn't responding. After evaluating his condition they decided that he needed to be life flighted to save his life.

After he got to the hospital the doctor's rushed him to ICU and evaluated all of his injuries so they could let us know what exactly had happened.

Here's a list of what happened to him:

Partially Fractured his Skull.
Damaged an artery near his brain
Broke his Cheek bones, jaw, and eye bones. (sorry im not a doctor)
Broke a vertebrae in his neck
Damaged arteries surrounding his heart
Fractured 9 ribs
Punctured a lung
Ruptured his spleen
Ruptured his pancreas
And through internal bleeding lost 4 pints of blood.

After he was admitted to the hospital he immediately went into surgery to remove his spleen and 1/5 of his pancreas.

As of right now, he is still in a coma, but things are looking a lot better.

He has been responding to commands and squeezing hands.
They say that he will not be paralyzed, but will be in a Halo for a long time.
They took him from 100% oxygen, to 80% and now down to 50%.

I just want to ask for all of your prayers and mostly to say this:

Please.. DON'T DRINK AND RIDE.
And ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET.

It's just not worth it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I hate hearing these types of accidents. I pray your father pulls through and returns to good health and commend you for taking this as an opportunity to try to reach out and prevent another accident of this type.
Not much else to say at this point except our prayers will be for him

Mar 16, 2007
my cousin was in a drunk driving accident. he was the passeger of a drunk driver. They crashed very bad, the driver was killed, and my cousin was in a colma for a few days. My other cousin also almost lost her leg in a drunk driving accident. Dont drink and drive/ride

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
An excellent post under most difficult circumstances. Hopefully it will cause someone to think twice if they find themselves in a similar situation.

I'll keep you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well wishes for your father.

My friend lost his twin brother when his V-Max got away from him and he slammed into a brick wall at a credit union. The repairs on the building were enough to make you glad you didn't witness the accident. He was hammered and showing off. Drunk riding is not a smart thing to do.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Aryain I am very sorry to hear about your dad. He will be in my thoughts and I wish you and your family the best for a complete recovery.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
best wishes to your dad and your family.

i ride street regularly. i don't drink and i always wear a helmet. i wish everyone else would too.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sorry to hear about you dad and he will be in my thoughts. You sound like a smart kid and well ahead of your years. This world needs more like you.

ebony dream

Mar 2, 2008
im sorry to hear that...i guess thats a lesson to all and why people push the importance of not drinking and driving any sort of vehicle..x best wishes

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
As an avid street motorcyclist I have to agree 100% with your post. I feel badly and really hope everything works out ok with your Dad. I am baffled by folks who drink and ride, plus not wear proper gear.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. My Dad was in a coma for 2 days. After he came out of the coma he was in and out for about 3 days, and doesn't remember much about it.

I just got home from the hospital, and today he was a lot closer to normal.

Still drugged up, but he could at least talk to me.

They got him out of bed for the first time today and made him walk across the room and back. Which was hell from what he tells me.

All of the internal bleeding seems to have stopped, and right now it is looking like it's going to be a long ongoing process of recovery for him.

My mom (his ex-ex wife), sister and I painted his house and re-decorated it, with his approval. (So what if he was a little drugged :P ) So hopefully when he gets out the improved environment around the house will help with a prompt recovery.

I can't say right now, but I really hope this has taught him some serious lessons.
Thanks everyone for the support and prayers.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Hey Aryain. Just saw your update. That was an awesome thing for the three of you to do for your dad. That kind of thing really does raise ones spirits a great deal.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was riding a bicycle without a helmet- something he is normally quite religious about. He got knocked over at the end of his alley by a kid on rollerblades. Sounds like nothing, right? He was in the hospital with a serious brain injury for a month. It was an eerie thing, what he could and couldn't remember, and when things started to come back. This guy had an amazing mind (if a little annoying at times when he'd recite long boring poems on our long runs driving us all insane!) At any rate- a lot of hard work, optimism, prayers, and people pulling for him really helped. He called the hospital a gulag, and had not a single kind word for the rigorous cognitive testing they put him through. But, boy, I think it was worth it, when I see how well he recovered and how quickly.

You are an awesome kid. Will this be affecting your plans to relocate up north this summer? I hope not.

SIXSIXZERO

Mar 10, 2008
good to hear hes making a recovery bud, hope he recovers well and learns a valuble lesson. i do not ride on the road but i race dirtbikes. my buddy crashed and had his helmet on, but not strapped. hes lucky hes alive, and still has problems with memory and such. its a shame it usually takes someone to get hurt before they wear gear. your in our prayers, hope it all works out.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
fatcat216 said:
Will this be affecting your plans to relocate up north this summer? I hope not.

Thanks. :)

Glad to hear your friend is okay. Did you guys ever find the kid on blades?

As of right now it won't be affection my plans, seeing as how he should make a full recovery. But, if something goes wrong between now and then I might stay. My sister is 21 and has been doing a really good job taking care of business since he's been out, but I would feel bad leaving him if something happened.

I'm currently up here with my mom on Spring Break doing campus visits. It's coooold. It's okay though, I should re-acclimate fairly quickly.

Thanks everyone again, for your prayers and support through all of this. It really does help.

Top Bottom