Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi, i got a new chain,,im scared i'll end up bending the master link clip if i dont do it right, any tips to put them on? doesnt the closed in go in the direction of travel also? thanks.

anyone know if you can add links to a chain?

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Yes, the closed end goes in the direction of travel. I just use a punch and lightly tap it into place. Maybe someone else can tell you how they do it as well.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Yes, I've used the punch method and it works.

I've also added a spare link+another master link before without problems. Only ran it for one day though.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I lay the clip flat against the left side of the pins. I then take a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the left side of the clip and the left pin together. The clip should slide right on.  Make sure it is fully seated and your good to go.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
are you just pressing the clip straight down onto the pins? or are you sliding them right to left while pressing down (the clip against the pins/link)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Make sure you hold the clip in the pin detents and it will snap into place when you force it over gently with plyers.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN

Attachments

• clip02.jpg
    clip02.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

jdrucker

Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird

Then just use a flat head screw driver to gently push it into place. Do exactly the opposite when taking it off. This keeps the lock flat and reduces stress around the areas that lock into the link.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Well, if he's already snapped it into place with the plyers, there is no more need for the screwdriver. :)
Be careful using either method, as they are both finger biters.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Also.....try not to reuse the clip. Its cheap insurance to keep a spare master link in the tool box.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
That is probably good advise, Jeff...but in my experience, if you install and remove them properly you can reuse them with no problems whatsoever. Only if you happen to spring one can it cause problems. It's very easy to tell if one is sprung. Lay it on a flat surface and see if all parts are down. If not, pitch it.

Snap rings are made of the basic same material and they too can be sprung. I never reuse any snap ring...however they are very cheap and you can buy them seperately. Master links are way more expensive and you will have a hard time finding just the keeper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom