Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Alright it's Christmas present time. I have a four year old boy who will, hopefully, want to start riding this coming year. He certainly likes sitting on the bikes. For a first bike to keep for a few years, not looking at racing, what is the consensus. Yahama PW50 or KTM 50 mini adventure Jr. I am looking at both used and new bikes.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I started Digger out on a JR50. My biggest reason for that is all the controls were where they belonged. It even has a shifter. My logic i having the controls in the propper place would help him when he moves to his next bike.

The PW has the brake controls in the wrong places. I didn't like that.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
One thing the PW has over the other bikes is the shaft drive is nice. Little bikes, chain drive and mudd do not get along.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The KTM Mini are pretty notorious for being high strung and high maintenance (from what I read on the internet so it must be true). KTMTalk is pretty informative on this stuff. I was pretty set on starting them with orange until I did the research...

I went with a TTR-50 for my 4YO. Might as well start them off with the button, no excuses for not being able to start it after stalling.

My nephews had the PW50s. Hard to beat them, although no shifting and seem to be geared too high for trail riding - at least they had a hard time trying to ride them with us on the ORV trails.

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
I started my boy on a PW50 when he was 4. I liked the simplicity, but going to an XR80 was tough because the controls are all different and then throw in the clutch learning curve. I wish I would have went with the Honda 50. The throttle limiter screw on the PW50 is another thing. If you screw it in to limit speed, you don't have enough punch to get the thing to move on flat ground let alone a hill. With a 3 speed auto, at least limiting the kid to 1st gear will limit speed (too bad for the motor).
Have fun now, because before you know it you'll be buying full size bikes instead of 50's and junior will be passing you on the trail.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The KTM 50 reputation comes from the SX50's (formerly Pro JR and SR). It is a plague that they share with all of the 50cc racers. I have not heard anywhere near as many complaints about the Adventure series.
The PW50 is an excellent beginner bike, and it isn't that tough for a kid to adapt to the control relocation.
The TTR-50 is also a good option, if the throttle is too twitchy you can just pop it in second to mellow it out. I did this with a PW-80 to teach my daughter to ride it.

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
bterp67 said:
I wish I would have went with the Honda 50. The throttle limiter screw on the PW50 is another thing. If you screw it in to limit speed, you don't have enough punch to get the thing to move on flat ground let alone a hill. With a 3 speed auto, at least limiting the kid to 1st gear will limit speed (too bad for the motor).

I had an XR50 about 6 years ago. Fun pit bike but my niece and nephew had a hard time learning and getting comfortable with the shifting. I am leaning toward starting my boy out with the single gear.

When he gets older he can ride my left over bikes.

MATTSKN

Sep 7, 2007
I have a friend how has a 99 adventure 50 forsale $500 shoot me a Email me if you are interested. The bike is in great shape.He just bought his boy a ttr110..

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
TTR50 or CRF50.

Stick it in 2nd gear and ride all day.

If you are planning to ride ORV trails with kids, the little four strokes are a better option than the PW50. I have carried a PW50 up many hills and over many logs. When the kids switched to an XR70, it was a very welcome change.

I would pick any of them over the orange bike due to reliability and resale value.

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
A decision has been made. Based on the feedback here, and as much as I bleed orange, I am going with the PW50 for the little guy. Next question does anyone know where I can find some orange plastic to replace the ugly blue?

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Sorry a little late, but I think your making a good decision. I started my boy at 4 on a PW50 and last year at 6 upgraded him to a mini adventure. My boy is height challenged (same as his dad) and the PW was a perfect fit for him. The CFR50's at the time were too tall and heavy for him. He felt comfortable on PW and it didn't scare him when he rode it. He was able to get throttle and braking down and enjoyed riding it. The only problem was on trail riding, the PW just doesn't have the power to get up hills or get through the soft stuff. Other then that it's a great starter bike and I sold the PW for $50 less then I paid for it so couldn't go wrong there.

The Mini Adventure has been easy to maintain so far. My boy did 2 family enduros, a couple HS, a MX and a bunch of all day trail ride / MX ride and I have had no problems so far. All I do is change the trans oil / air filter after every ride and check nuts / bolts. The Mini SX ones are the ones that need a lot of work with the clutch from everyone that I talk to. I will say even the Mini Adventure is a lot faster then the PW. My boy struggled a little getting use to the throttle response of the KTM. On the PW he got use to getting on and pinning it all day. He did that the first time on the KTM and it scared the crap out of him. I ended up using the G2 thottle stops in the card for the first couple of rides so he could get use to it and then it was all good.

I'm sure by the end of 08 I'll have the Mini for sale as he'll probably have outgrown it so maybe you'll be ready to upgrade by then:)

humbugtru

Dec 14, 2007
When I started my son out (quite a bit older) we baught the bike in the winter. What helped me a lot was to keep the bike in the garage and let him practice starting it all winter long. Poor kid....the XR80 was a bit cold blooded! By spring he was good to go and no need to spoil him with the button! I have never had to help him start the bike on the trail. Just a tip that helped us out a lot.

I would also go with the Honda 50 - second gear is perfect and you will not lose money if you buy used. It isn't the best selling bike in the world for nothing....

Top Bottom