PW80 Mods?

Yamadog

Oct 12, 2001
I just bought my boy a used 99 PW80. He has a good time on it but it revs poorly and lacks power. I am assuming that there may be some exhaust restriction and probably carb air starvation but I have not had time to investigate. Before I tear into it, can anyone give me the heads up on how to get these bikes running better? It seems to be a well made machine, just bogged down a bit.

R White

Sep 13, 2001
Ok yahamadog heres what I've done to my daughters pw80
step jeting down by one,remove pipe @head remove power restricter,
remove baffel& xdrill on strait part just behind taper 6 times and bend taper in just a little then remove air box at the bottom there's two spots that look like in takes there not use a old soldering iron and melt some holes there about 1in in diameter it'll rip after that:p

Last edited:

Yamadog

Oct 12, 2001
R. White

Thanks for the reply. Last night I took off the exhaust and found that the restrictor was gone. Having a hard time getting the pipe sealed properly (no gasket present) Below where the restrictor washer would have been there is a tapered trumpet shaped baffle, but it did not appear to be removable it looked to be welded to the outer pipe. Is this the baffle you spoke of?
I took off the airbox cover and the rpm's immediately climbed. So I drilled two holes in the lower outside airbox as you described. It looked like there was very little chance for air to get in there. I ran out of time but I may try to move the jet clip up one notch as you suggested.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…