pwk 35 nbr 6 or 5 throttle vlv

Martini

Aug 29, 2002
MODS TO 220 KDX : I HAVE GOT AN OLD 1989 PWK 35 CARB WHICH CAME WITH A NBR 6 THROTTLE VLV.SHOULD I USE THIS OR THE NBR 5 OUT OF THE 220 CARB WHEN I FIT IT.(IN PLACE OF THE 33MILL SET UP).
I NOTE THE E MODEL 200S RAN THE NBR 6 THROTTLE VLV BUT THE NEWER H SERIES 200S RUN THE NBR 5 .WHICH IS BEST?

THE RB CARB IS NOT AN OPTION BECAUSE I LIVE ONE STOP FROM ANTARCTICA.(COST)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm using the #6 with my 36mm (RB) PWK. It works better with the BEL needle I'm using now.

I never tried a #6 with the 'stock' 35mm carb. Seeing as the several circuits easily reachable (main, pilot, AS) are leaned, I'd bet the throttle valve would work better if it was leaner, too.

It's not too hard to spend $75 on a throttle valve...so that may well be a reason it's not on the top of the list of 'things to do'.

Put in the #6. I'll bet you'll get better off idle response and smoothness of power delivery than you'll get with the #5.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I fitted a stock PWK 35mm carb to a 98 KDX220. I used a #6 slide, which worked really well on the 220. Sorry - I can't remember the needle and pilots used but the just-off-idle to mid range mixture control with the 35mm carb and #6 slide was far superior to the 33mm with #5 slide.

Martini

Aug 29, 2002
Thanks for your knowledge guys,the #6 is going back in.(actually measured the bore at 36mm).canycarvr does the bel needle have a number reference?.At present I am looking at buying the standard needle fitted to the E1 kdx-R1172N.
Temps here are cool between 10-15degs and 100 octane is available
Regards

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check:
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

..click on <tech tips> and <understanding jet needles>

to get your OWN decoder ring for such questions. ;)

A R1172N would equal a Keihin BGN, specs of:

1º15" taper (1 1/4º)
2.725 straight diameter
39.95 L1 (length of straight section, measured to the 'magic number' of a 2.515 diameter).

A BEL specs to:
1º15" taper
2.705 straight diameter
38.15 L1

Use your own decoder to double check all those numbers. I didn't (double check)...so my haste may be my waste.

Needle designations as 'BEL' are Keihin, the R1172N is a kawi number. Any needles you order will likely be Keihin, so the former numbering system is what you'll need. Kawi needles are proprietary, so SOME of their profiles are not available from Keihin...they are also much more expensive (like 3-4 times the bucks).

JDs needle tuning guide is an excellent tool for graphing the changes between needles. You can chart three different needles over the throttle range to see what gets richer/leaner where/how much.

Note my carb is an RB modified carb. The jetscreen has been modified somewhat that likely changes the signal at the jetblock.

The carb is a 35mm if it has not been bored. The 36mm reference is to a bored carb.

BTW..100 octane isn't doing you any good, likely doing you a DISservice unless you have increased combustion pressures due to an increased static ratio (like having the head milled). A slower burn (higher octane) isn't always a good thing. Bottom line is DON'T DO DETONATION.

Have a blast!!!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Chances are that the slide from the 1989 carb is not interchangeable with the slide off a late model 220. The older carbs had slides with a flat bottom, while the newer KDX PWK carbs have a slide with a recessed bottom.

Martini

Aug 29, 2002
Appreciate the feedback.Actually enjoying the research.Printed off the "understanding jet needles" thanks canyncarvr, and also went to the keihin site because I was having trouble getting my head around the L1 measurement.
BRush the new an old carb slides are different on inspection ,thanks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…