Quest for fire

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
I am trying to get an old dirk bike running. It's a 1969 Yamaha DT1, 250 ccs. It was a basket case when I got it, but the engine was complete and mostly assembled. I rebuilt the top end and cleaned and adjusted the carb - among a whole lot of other stuff - but when I kicked if I got no spark. The whole electrical system consists of four wires running off the alternator. Only the black wire is used and it runs directly to a kill switch and then to the coil. The coil is new, as is the spark plug. The kill switch is new. I pulled the stator and cleaned all the connections. I replaced the points. I cleaned all the grounds I could find on the timing plate. I wirebrushed the inside of the flywheel. The magnets are all strong. Nothing. The stator consists of three small coils arranged in a circle on the timing plate. One coil powers the ignition coil and spark plug. One powers the lights and stuff, all of which is long gone. I don't know yet what the third coil does. Does anyone know how I can check to find out if the coils are capable of producing juice? Is anyone familiar with stators like this one and know of anything else I sould be doing to checking? Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can provide.

Patrick

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…