Question about Neck and Steering stem

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
Should I ride in this situation

Ok..my Steering Head Nut...the Aluminum M20 1,5 Lock nut in the top of the triple trees when I screw it in it gets so far gets tight then gets loose again and looses its lock on the threads and i can twist it down by hand all the way in...my manual says...i need to replace it if you can tighten it by hand...I ordered a new one but it ain't gonna be here til Tuesday of next week.

I really want to ride tomorrow...you think if i got a washer and a Lockwasher i could tighten it down and ride...ne ideas would be helpful....i'd hate to miss a weekend of riding for something like this

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The alternative is missing the rest of the season because your front end broke...

Not likely, but anything could happen!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I hate to tell you but it's probably the threads on the stem, not the nut, that are stripped. I had the same problem a few years back and the best deal I could find on a new stem was at Emig Racing. It presses into the lower triple clamp so if you don't have a press you'll need some help.

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
Ok...when i pull in my front brake...and push the bike forward and backward down where my steering stem is...there is about an 1/8th of an inch of play it wobbles back and forth..don't get me wrong but shouldn't this be really really tight no play...the bearings are seated in to..bottom and top...where would this play come from???

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Could be that threads are messed up on the stem, like you posted about in another thread..

Or did you forget about that already? :coocoo:

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
no i rememberd but i have the old nut in...and like i said it tightens down quite a ways its just like the last turn to get it tight it pops loose...so I figured there wouldn't be ne play in it since its in pretty tight just not as tight as it should be...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
MSB22 said:
just not as tight as it should be...

The key to it all...

If it's not as tight as it should be, it's going to have play in it..

You need to figure out if it's the stem or the nut. and fix it properly.

If it's got play in it, I wouldn't ride it until it's fixed. One good hit on the front end, and you may find yourself in the back of an ambulance.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom