Question about new top end being done

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
It's been a long time since I posted here on the forum. I hope all is still doing well.

I am planning on having the top end of my 01 YZ 250 done this winter and I had a couple of questions.

1)Can I remove the top end without removing the entire engine?
2)Are Wiseco (sorry if spelling is wrong) pistons ok for my bike?
3)What all should I ask the shop to do to my top end?
4)What kind of price should I be looking at?

I am still running the original top end on my YZ. My bike still has plenty of power and compression, but I thought it was time to have this done before it's too late.

If you can think of anything else I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum earlier.
It's been a long time since I posted here on the forum. I hope all is still doing well.

I am planning on having the top end of my 01 YZ 250 done this winter and I had a couple of questions.

1)Can I remove the top end without removing the entire engine?
2)Are Wiseco (sorry if spelling is wrong) pistons ok for my bike?
3)What all should I ask the shop to do to my top end?
4)What kind of price should I be looking at?

I am still running the original top end on my YZ. My bike still has plenty of power and compression, but I thought it was time to have this done before it's too late.

If you can think of anything else I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
1. yes
2. wiseco are good pistions, just do three heat cycles before you ride the bike.
3. dont take it to the shop, learn to do it yourself, the money you will save will mean you can do it more often (a good thing). take your time and pay attention to the arrow onthe piston (pointing to the exhaust port) and also the circlips, make sure the click when they seat.
4. a full wiseco top end and gaskets is arounf $120, before you order you need to figure which size piston to buy, there should be a letter stamped on the cylinder that corresponds to the size. if the bike has got some hours you might want to go to the next size bigger piston.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You should be able to pull the cylinder and head at the same time without removing the motor. Inspect the cylinder and only remove the head if you have excessive carbon buildup or your cylinder needs replating. Any respectable shop should give you their opinion on everything needed. Removing the piston isn't difficult, just DON"T pound the pin out. The pin should be pushed out with minimal impact on the rod. If you pull the head, you will need a full gasket kit. Check your manual for powervalve removal and cleaning(this is the nastiest part). You should be able to do the whole thing in two hours even doing it your first time. Take your time and you will get the job done.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom