question about rear suspension bearings

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I finally got around to tearing the whole rear end apart and cleaning/greasing all bearings. Everything looks good so far. It looks like a bearing is at the top of the shock. All my other bearings came right apart but this one is stuck pretty good. i just wanted to make sure this is a bearing and should come apart like the rest of them before I try to get it out of there.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
Nope, others might want to confirm this, but I believe that it's a rubber bushing at the top of the shock, not a bearing. It's not supposed to come out or need servicing.

It doesn't need to move much, so it uses the elasticity of rubber to allow a little movement while providing a maintenance-free joint. This is pretty typical design practice for the top of bike shockers.

So be happy. One less bearing to fret about...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Boot's right. It's not a bearing (not a roller bearing).

You're bottom shock mount was ok? THAT would be a surprise.

Check out:
http://www.buykawasaki.com

for parts breakdowns, if you don't have a manual.

Trying anything in the way of removal techniques for stuck stuff (heat, pounding the heck out of it?) is going to result in some real disappointment. About the time the shock eye gets goobered (what is a replacement shock...about $500?), you'll be pretty pouty 'bout it! ;)

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I took the linkage apart two years ago when the bike was new and just smeared some more grease on all the bearings. This time I took the whole thing apart (shock, swingarm and all linkage parts). None of the bearings showed any wear and all operated smooth. The Kawasaki manual just isn't real clear about the shock, it says there is a shock bearing(section 11-15 bottom of page). i would have asumed this would be in the shock and not on the linkage. i just need to check and grease the wheel bearings now so it'll be ready to ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom