barncat

Aug 15, 2010
I noticed today, while on flat stretches, if I need W.O.T., I can only reach it if I "blip" the throttle. If I roll into it, I don't get it, If I roll in, then "blip" it, the beast will scream.
What causes this?

Also, I feel like an ass with this one, but I'm new to 2-stroke bikes...Owner says it has an oil leak, I can see it at the drain plug underneath. To me it looks like ATF. Does the cranckase take separate oil? If so, where does it or the filter go? None of my other 2-strokes have separate oil.

I am confused about this little tidbit

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
The first problem sounds like a jetting issue.

Second, yes, the trans takes it's own oil. I use automotive transmission fluid Type F for my trans. However, go with what works for you. Also, there in no filter to change. Welcome to riding a 2t! :cool:

barncat

Aug 15, 2010
So, to be clear, the oil fill on the lower case is tranny oil. There is no engine oil.

I wondered if it was jetting, this is running an open air sponge element.

I also noticed there looks to be a vacuum line on the tranny case that is open. Did this go to an airbox at one time?

This little scooter rides hard! Fun little toy. It needs very little, and starts incredibly easy. I thought my XL600 was the most fun I could have with pants on, but this thing has it WHIPPED!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
more than likely you are rich on the main jet. Get 2-3 different sizes from what is in there both richer and leaner and figure out which one works best. Be sure the air filter is clean also

barncat

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks guys. Just downloaded the service manual, so that'll help. I noticed the call for a Kehini Carb, and I have the Mikuni.
What about the reeds, is there one brand you have felt worked best for you?

P.O. was running 28:1 as well, could that have been an issue? I thinned it back to 32:1.

Also need to get a petcock scrounged up. this one is leaking somewhere(somebody siliconed it up).

Last edited:

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
barncat said:
So, to be clear, the oil fill on the lower case is tranny oil.
Correct.

barncat said:
There is no engine oil.
Yes there is. It is in your fuel! (sorry, being a smartass! :boss: )

barncat said:
I also noticed there looks to be a vacuum line on the tranny case that is open. Did this go to an airbox at one time?
Yep!

barncat said:
What about the reeds, is there one brand you have felt worked best for you?
Boyesen "Power" reeds are your best bang for the buck IMO.

barncat said:
P.O. was running 28:1 as well, could that have been an issue? I thinned it back to 32:1.
There could be your problem. Changing from 28:1 to 32:1 made the mixture richer. Try changing down one jet size or go back to 28:1 and see how it runs.

barncat

Aug 15, 2010
I figured it was a typical 2-stroke, but he kept saying "Oil"(in reference to changing it)
I'll go back to 28:1, as it was how it was ran, and there was no complaints.

Just plug the tranny port, and be done with it? I don't see it mentioned in the manual. What was it's purpose.

Have I mentioned, that this pissed off chainsaw is a blast?

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
barncat said:
I figured it was a typical 2-stroke, but he kept saying "Oil"(in reference to changing it)
I'll go back to 28:1, as it was how it was ran, and there was no complaints.

Just plug the tranny port, and be done with it? I don't see it mentioned in the manual. What was it's purpose.

Have I mentioned, that this pissed off chainsaw is a blast?

That "tranny port" is the vent tube and should be left open. It normally runs the same path as your carb overflow tubes. If you plug it, you could cause a seal leak.

barncat

Aug 15, 2010
Well, I'm about 99% my throttle issue is petcock related. The PO has siliconed it at some point. I switched over to res. And it ran like a raped ape.

I am having a heckuva time finding an exact replacement petcock, any suggestions?

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Ebay or Service Honda (yes, Honda!) if the parts are still available. If you do order through SH, don't use the online ordering. Call them instead.

barncat

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. Found one on Ebay, so i'll birdog it.

I use service Honda for my Goldwing, so I'll check there as well. With the Vintage bikes in my garage, I'm always finding more and more places.

Thanks again

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom