Question re: Low End Grunt

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I have an '02 KDX 220. The only mods I have done are: adding an FMF rev pipe (silencer and airbox are stock) and stiffer fork springs. Jetting is stock.

The bike seems to run really well. I can't notice any bogging anywhere in the power band. It does, however, seem to have lost that "wheelie at will" low end grunt. That is, it's harder for me to lift the front wheel with a mere turn of the wrist in low gears. This happened at about the time I put on the pipe.

I'm not that good with a wrench and any real jetting changes are over my head. That said, however, if anyone has any general suggestions, I could get someone (or a shop) to help me try them. If air screw adjustments might help, that would be great.

For what it's worth, I live in Southern California. I ride mainly at Gorman (approx. 3000 feet; it will be hot during the summer). I also ride a bit at Saddleback (much lower elevation--probably 500-1000 feet). I don't need perfect jetting (I don't race), I'd just like to be pretty close (erring on the side of no engine damage).

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

--EBOD

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try this:

Please remember that jetting a bike to "std spec" can be harmful if you don't keep a good eye on your plug or "seat dyno" (how it feels and runs) but these settings will get your close.

With a stock 220 just leave the pilot and 145 main jet alone and set the needle at #2. (Second slot from top) Have you drilled holes in your airbox lid yet? This seems to be most of them running pretty decent after adding the FMF Rev pipe. Boyesen 607 power reeds are less than $30 away and they really make a nice snappy throttle. :D

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
A really cheap mod I just added were reed spacers. The manuf. from Moose and they were only $23. They added a bit of low end because now I pull wheelies like crazy in 2nd and 3rd gear and that was with my stock pipe on. I can't wait to get my fmf back(dent being fixed) so i can test the spacers out with the fmf pipe. Make sure when you get spacers to buy the reeds also because if you decide to change them later you'll have to take the carborator off again, and no one likes to take parts off if you don't have to.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Mine doesn't wheelie that easy! It's bone stock except for bars and grips. If I hit it right it'll come up but it sure ain't at will. If I'm on a dirt road and in 2nd or 3rd no way can I wheelie at will. Am I sitting too far forward?? I do usually ride almost up on the tank. My Renthals are up and out so I sit up far. I'm a novice old guy but man I'd like to wheelie more, they're my favorite!!!

~Peace

Top Bottom